Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

What is the story about" woman in door half opened",by

Customer Question
What is the story...

What is the story about "young woman in door half opened",by Rembrandt? is it haunted?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

That supposedly she doesn't like men

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Strange things have been happening since Ibrought this oil painting in my home. When the picture of her was sent to my cell phone.it hasn't worked properly since. My husband has had a psychotic breakdown and was hospitalized and I'm staying very dizzy and nervous

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
12/14/2017
Antique Expert: rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 7 months ago
rusufdavi
rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hello there

My name is ***** ***** I will try to help you in your question today. Thank you or using JustAnswer to solve your question.

The Young Woman in door half opened is wonderful piece of art! You have very good sense of art. The history of this painting is reported in several bibliography for instance:

Gary Schwartz, Rembrandt, his life, his paintings, New York, 1985

Daniel Catton Rich, “Die Ausstellung Fünf Jahrhunderte der Frühmalerei’ in Chicago,” Pantheon 12 (1933)

The original title is indeed “Une jeune Fille du pays de Frise, appuyée devant une croisée” (a young girl from Friesland leaning on a half-door”) was painting together with a painting at half-length of a young soldier in armor, buckling his sword belt.

The girl at the painting had seventeen when Rem­brandt saw her, and paintined in the famous painting dates 1645. She looks like an ordinary member of whatever they called the social class with a lot of people in it back in Rembrandt's day, except that she has something special. In a world where everybody lived in black clothes with white collars all the time, period, she has a sumptuous treasure: a double strand of red beads.

The painting indeed was a metaphor of voyeurism. The way she holds herself back and directs only her gaze suggests that she very much wants to see whomever may or may not be over there, but doesn't want to be caught in the act of looking.

So you dont have to do anything with this painting, because it does not carry out a dramatic story behind.

Please, use the stars to rate my answer or let me know if I can help you any further!

Antique Expert: Cher, Educator-40+ yrs replied 7 months ago
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs

My name is ***** ***** I am a different expert than the first who answered you.

I have done extensive research on this painting and could find no information on it being haunted or having anything to do with the occult.

I'm sorry that you and your husband have experienced problems when the painting was sent to your phone and is now in your home. I think these were just coincidences and if you are superstitious and feel the painting is causing things to happen to you and your husband, making you so nervous, I would return it to wherever you purchased it or try to sell it to a gallery or privately. If you do this, do not mention anything about thinking it is haunted.

I hope you and your husband are doing better and look into having your phone fixed or get a new one, after deleting the picture of the painting.

I hope you appreciated my insight on this and will start feeling better, soon.

Your satisfaction is my ultimate goal and I welcome any follow-up questions you may have on this subject, at no additional charge.

At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Best wishes,

Cher