Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I found a Wharton book on Rose Hardwick Thorpe, copywrited…

Customer Question
I found a George...

I found a George Wharton James book on Rose Hardwick Thorpe, copywrited 1916. It is signed Rose Hardwick Thorpe on the title page, and on page 2 or 3 where there are pictures of her at 16 and 19, they got the ages wrong under the photo, so she wrote the correct age near the photo. She also made a notation on page 185.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

No, and I can send photos.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Antiques
12/13/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 9 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome! My name is***** will be pleased to help you. Thoughtful responses take time. I am studying your question and will return shortly.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos.

To send photos you may use the "ADD (or ATTACH) FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

I do not send pop-up offers.

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

Okay, here are the photos.
Tamara Rossitto
DSCF1071.JPGDSCF1071.JPGDSCF1073.JPGDSCF1073.JPGDSCF1074.JPGDSCF1074.JPGDSCF1075.JPGDSCF1075.JPGDSCF1077.JPGDSCF1077.JPG
Please just email me, thank you.

********************
I do not normally participate in the extra charge phone call services. I give my best answers in thoughtful writing.

Besides, you will have an assessment to print out. I did not send the pop-up ad/offer.

********************

Unfortunately, I do not have good news.

Your book, Rose Hardwick Thorpe of "Curfew Shall Not Ring Tonight", by George Wharton James and published in 1916 by The Radiant Life Press has an estimated retail value of $44.

I found one similarly signed currently for sale retail for $44.

I truly wish I had better news.

How to sell books:
http://www.internetbookselling.com/sell-old-books.html

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.