Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I want to know more about an oil on canvas painting I have.

I want to know more...
I want to know more about an oil on canvas painting I have
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: This is the description as advertised when I bought it: "Original antique 18th century Italian Old Master Antique oil painting Mythology Angel. Original oil on canvas. Fine large depiction of the Angel and 2 infants. The superb early depiction of the young children beside some flowers and a landscape with mountains beyond. Excellent detail by an accomplished Baroque School hand".
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: These are the questions I have; I would be willing to pay more if these questions could be answered: 1. Who is the artist? (speculation appreciated!, I have no idea). Also see the writing on the edges of the painting. 2. Can you narrow the date of origin to a year or at least early or late 18th century? 3. Why is there blue paint on the angel's forehead? Is that original to the work or added later? 4. Is this the first depiction of this scene, or is this a later interpretation of an earlier work? Who are the angel and children supposed to represent? 5. What might the value be if I had it professionally restored and framed?
your valuation title - Original antique 18th century Italian Old Master Antique oil painting Mythology Angel
artist - Unknown
height - 39
width - 28.5
measurements - inches
date of item - Allegedly 18th century
signature - None but there is writing on the side edges as pictured
condition - General painting is in good condition, but on bottom, canvas is not fixed with a stretcher. The painting is without a frame.
provenance or previous sale history - Unknown
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I received the mail from Estonia. Asking price was $1000, but my offer price was far less. Any insight you may have on the questions above would be much appreciated! Pictures are attached.
IMG_8090.jpgIMG_8090.jpgIMG_8094.jpgIMG_8094.jpgIMG_8095.jpgIMG_8095.jpgIMG_8096.jpgIMG_8096.jpgIMG_8097.jpgIMG_8097.jpgIMG_8101.jpgIMG_8101.jpgIMG_8103.jpgIMG_8103.jpg
12/13/2017
ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser

Thanks for the question! You have a painting that is likely more recent than 18th century Italian Baroque. It is probably late 19th to early-20th century in a French Academic style (like Bouguereau) and if I had to date it, I'd guess around 1910 based on a variety of factors. The blue paint on the forehead is curious (as is the eye shadow!) and it might have been added later to make it more pleasing to an owner. This is a typical subject - often presented as an "Allegory of Seasons" (Spring) or the like, see: https://www.artsheaven.com/william-adolphe-bouguereau-a-dream-of-spring.html - I would not put a lot of money into restoring it since the quality is a bit uneven, but if you love it, a lower-level restoration of around $500 would preserve the canvas. The market value for these decorative paintings from the turn of the century in a nice frame can be around $1,500 to $2,500, so you'd be in-line with market value if you paid $1,000 for it and can find a nice older, vintage frame. The writing on the edge of the painting I cannot make out, but 40 is likely a reference to either an inventory number/canvas size.

Please rate my professionalism in addressing answer using the JustAnswer 5-star system. Rating the question is the sole-way that experts are recognized and closes the question. It costs nothing more for you.

ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great job, thank you

Absolutely my pleasure! Thank you!

ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser