Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

We have a 1912 Edition of the Sinking of the Titanic. On the…

Customer Question
We have a 1912...

We have a 1912 Edition of the Sinking of the Titanic. On the flyleaf it is signed Mrs. C.C Jones. C.C.Jones perished on the Titanic his body was recovered #80. This book was owned by his widow. Jones worked for the Colgate family in Vermont as an Estate manager. Any idea of the value

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

In 2008 a collection of letters & telegrams concerning CC Jones sold at auction for 16,000 pounds. Mr. Jones was a leader in the sheep industry. As for the book it is in great condition it has a tear one page and the spine is faded. Otherwise I can't think of anything

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Antiques
12/12/2017
Antique Expert: ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser replied 2 months ago
ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser

Thanks for the question! These 1912 "Sinking of the Titanic" books remain collectible as it is one of the few maritime disasters to remain in the public eye. Typically these books sell for $400 to $600 (see: https://www.biblio.com/book/sinking-titanic-russell-thomas/d/97761467) but with a provenance that links it to a titanic survivor, it could be worth more if that connection can be well-documented. I'd reach out and contact this firm: http://www.henry-aldridge.co.uk/ as it does well with Titanic memorabilia, but be prepared for a modest increase in value - perhaps a few extra hundred dollars - since the most valuable premiums for Titanic objects go to items that were saved from the ship with personal connections.

Please rate my professionalism in addressing answer using the JustAnswer 5-star system. Rating the question is the sole-way that experts are recognized and closes the question. It costs nothing more for you.

Following-up as I noticed you viewed your answer but elected not to rate it. Is there any additional information that I can provide? Again, rating the question is the sole-way that experts are recognized and closes the question. It costs nothing more for you.

ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser