Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a painting that's supposed to be by Archibald Cary.

Customer Question
I have a painting...

I have a painting that's supposed to be by Archibald Cary Smith. It is not a painting of boats. I could send a photo of it for you to see, if you'd like.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

The painting was purchased in New Jersey by my step father, who gave it to me. It is turn of the century. On the back it has a typed noted that says it is by Archibald Cary Smith.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

It is a small, dark painting of some people in the shade of a creek bank, fishing and picnicking Very tiny details on the people's hair, fishing poles, etc

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
12/12/2017
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 7 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name isCustomerand I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including marks, labels or signatures.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

This landscape painting by Archibald Cary Smith (1837-1911)

painted circa 1895 by the New York and New Jersey listed artist

known for marine, ship design, engraving, and magazine illustration, has a current value of

$800 to $1000 retail.

To sell, try ads on these sites; http://www.masterpieceonline.com, artbrokerage.com, askart.com, artnet.com, artvalue.com, or artprice.com.
Some other sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local), Wanelo.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com,
eBay and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
Please do click the stars now for this one, it is very important for me to get good feedback for answers.

I am following up to see if you are happy with your answer.
Please do let me know by clicking the stars or typing the words thank you.