Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

We have a pre-ban carved ivory tusk. Not sure of it's value.

Customer Question
We have a pre-ban...

We have a pre-ban carved ivory tusk. Not sure of it's value. I could send a picture if you like.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It was my mother oops

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

My mothers and probably from my grandmother. Can I send a picture in here? It is carved, has fish on both sides. Probably japanese About 3" high. Carved both sides. about 3 1/2 wide. and is on a cute ebony stand.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
12/12/2017
Antique Expert: ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser replied 7 months ago
ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser

Thanks for the question! Ivory is tricky because of the various restrictions involved in selling it, see: https://www.fws.gov/international/travel-and-trade/ivory-ban-questions-and-answers.html and depending on the quality of the carving, I'm not sure yours is 3 inches high or 3 feet high. If the former and it is small, these small carved Ivory tusks sell for $75 to $150 these days in legal markets depending on the quality and larger 3 foot carved tusks, mounted, sell at the $400 to $800 level. I'd reach out to a local auctioneer in your area for further guidance on the local options to sell ivory as the rules are state-specific. Matt Quinn at Quinn's auctions is also a great resource, see also: http://www.quinnsauction.com/

Please rate my professionalism in addressing answer using the JustAnswer 5-star system. Rating the question is the sole-way that experts are recognized and closes the question. It costs nothing more for you.

Following-up as I noticed you viewed your answer but elected not to rate it. Is there any additional information that I can provide? Again, rating the question is the sole-way that experts are recognized and closes the question. It costs nothing more for you.