Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have my mother in law's ( married 50 yrs, died in 1996),

Customer Question
I have my mother...

I have my mother in law's ( married 50 yrs , died in 1996), 1847 Rogers Brothers. IS Eternally Yours silverware * sets. can you tell me more? is it plated , Pure silver, and value

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Service for 8

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

I don't know any further details it is used but has been kept in a glass jar with the lid on it since I have had it for yrs

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
12/11/2017
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 7 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Thank you for your patience.

The Eternally Yours pattern that was originally produced by Rogers Brothers then made by International Silver when the Rogers was absorbed by them is a plated set and not sterling silver. As a rule of thumb, any sterling silver flatware pieces produced in America would be clearly marked 'sterling' on each individual piece.

Plated sets do not have a precious metal meltdown value like sterling silver does. Eternally Yours flatware sets sell for under $100 on today's auction market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora