Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Bought these vases they are cased glass harlequin shaped…

Bought these vases they are...
Bought these vases they are cased glass harlequin shaped with enameling. What is the age,country , value and details on them?
12/10/2017
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

My name is ***** ***** I would be glad to help with your vases.

Could you very kindly attach a photo of them including one of the bottoms.

Also, how tall are they?

Many thanks,
Robert.

To attach photos:

(a) Just click on the "Add Files" tab and it will bring up the photos in your computer for you to select and attach here where you are typing to me.

(b) If you don't have an image in your computer, email yourself one from a smart phone, save it in you computer and proceed with (a).

Here's a link to picture attaching help if you need it.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

3”-6” and 13” tall
DBA88C06-DDEC-496A-84ED...jpegDBA88C...jpeg1466695C-DA3E-4C18-8752...jpeg146669...jpegB3935F3E-5575-4A17-87F7...jpegB3935F...jpegFE499C1C-6701-4BA3-A7EC...jpegFE499C...jpeg

Thanks for the photos. These are lovely! I notice the black base is bolted to the vase. Does the bolt go all the way through the glass of the vase with a nut on the inside?

And is the base wooden under the black?

Many thanks,
Robert

Robert S.
The bolts go all the way thru but only one but.
Nut
The bases are black glass. Sorry.
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
Phone call session started

Okay. Can you attach a photo of the undersides of the base?

Also can you say this another way:

"The bolts go all the way thru but only one but."

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

Many thanks,
Robert

My texting is atrocious. The bolt goes through the vase and base.
I clicked too soon on the call button. The respond section is not letting me add the photo of the bottom for some reason
The bolt goes through the vase and base.

Okay, no problem. I can work with what you've sent, it just helps to confirm the age if I can see the construction and set up on the bottom, but I've a fair idea from the rest of the piece.

Leave this with me and I'll have a full answer and a value for you as soon as I can. No need to wait by the computer, you'll get an email with my response.

Many thanks,
Robert.

Do you have an answer??

Apologies for the slow response, these have proved quite a puzzle to track down. They are truly unique.

They are beautifully made with some highly skillful verre émaillé (enameled glass) decorating, not an easy feat to do under any circumstances, as the enameling temperature of the decoration is almost the same as the melting point of glass, but to create this in raised paste is even more impressive. Not many had the ability to pull this off. I would narrow it down to two; the glassmakers of Bohemia (now the Czech Republic) or their equivalent in France and, given the steel bolt hardware, I would go for the latter, a French maker of the caliber and artistic stature of the glass artist, Auguste Heiligenstein or Philippe-Joseph Brocard.

Stylistically your pair dates to the 1920s-1930s, the geometric lattice and contrasting dark base being typical of the period after 1925 when Art Deco was all the rage.

These are very special, I wish I could tell you precisely the artist who made them, but without a signature, it's going to be impossible to do so.

As for value, if fully described as what they are:

• A pair of 1920s, Art Deco era, cased glass vases, ruby on white, decorated in a lattice of foliate forms in raised paste colored opaque enamel on a gilt outline, of square section trumpet form and bolted to a black glass socle base, decorated with gold enamel trim lines and intaglio cut florals.

Then in a retail setting, in a antique store specializing in antique art glass, this pair would have a full retail value of $1200. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes. Expect to get 30% - 40% of this (if you ever decided to sell) at a good antique auction house.

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.