Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a Hamilton grade 979 Coronado in gold trying to find…

Customer Question
I have a Hamilton...

I have a Hamilton grade 979 Coronado in white gold trying to find out its worth, it runs and keeps good time

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Serial number is *****

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/9/2017
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 7 months ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Just to be sure, is that serial number from the gears of your watch or the case?

.
Thanks

Diana

gears
no phone calls

Great. Thanks. I just wanted to double check. If you'll give me a few minutes, I'll put together all the info and value for you.

~Diana

I need response sent to my computer

That's fine. I'll type up your answer here and you should be notified as soon as I post it.

Hi. Thank you for your patience.

.

That's a highly collectible watch. Based on the(###) ###-####serial number, that's a 979 Coronado. It should feature a pendant style movement with a nickel finish. Wrist watches typically feature a size 6/0 movement.

.

Based on my records, it should date to around 1928, though they were usually sold as part of Hamiltons 1929 collection. They made around 11,500 of these movements overall. They came in both yellow and white gold. Most of the original watches came with a leather band. The art deco design with white gold makes it fairly sought after.

.

In excellent condition, it's worth about $3000 to $3500. It will have an insurance value of $4000.

.

The exact pricing will depend on the condition and where you sell it. At an auction, you're really dependent on the audience unless you stick a reserve on your watch. They can go high or low. Plus you might have dealers in the audience, so they might try to get values lower so they can make a profit later on.
.
Online markets (like Ebay) tend to go for less. To be honest, with Ebay, unless they're rare or uncommon models, watches tend to go for about 1/2 of the their actual value. Trade shows and antique or jewelry store dealers won't offer the real value either because they will be looking to resell. You might ask them about selling on consignment. They'll take a percentage of the sale, but might already have a buyer in mind.
.
Your best values will come from a private sale one on one to another collector. For that, Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores for selling old watches and do sell worldwide. Etsy is another great place and it generally has some of the lowest listing rates. I always recommend checking them out first.

.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). The only downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great weekend.
~Diana

Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 6 months ago

Hi. I was just touching base to see if you need anything else? I noticed you viewed my answer, but have not rated it. I was wondering if you had any more questions?

.

I also wanted to know if you were having trouble rating my answer? Rating me does not cost you anything. It just ensures I get credit for my work.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

.

If you think you have already rated me, please reply and let me know. If you're having trouble rating my answer, please let me know.

.

Best Wishes,
Diana