Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I am now the caretaker of a coverlet that belonged to my…

Customer Question
I am now the...

I am now the caretaker of a coverlet that belonged to my Grandmothers family. They had 2 treasures passed down 1 the family Bible and 2 this coverlet. My gramma was born in 1899. Her father was born in 1875. I get the feeling that it might have been made before 1875.

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Is there anyway I can send you photos? I’m curios how old it may be and where it came from. It does not look Native American. I am mostly Irish and German. It looks as if it could be from Sweden.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/7/2017
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 7 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Hi Patty,

Thank you for the images and for your patience.

This is an 1870s antique Vavstuga Swedish woven coverlet.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincere