Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I would like to know more about the value of two painting I…

Customer Question
I would like to know...
I would like to know more about the value of two painting I have. They came to me via a friend who brought them from Belgium. Her father was the curator of the Brussels Museum at the turn of the 1900s. One, the Dupaigne is very large 36" x 43" in frame. I cannot read the painters name on the smaller one which is oil on board.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Antiques
151258171954549176643.jpg1512581...jpg15125817560341078116270.jpg1512581...jpg15125820145221428389951.jpg1512582...jpg1512582066080350238375.jpg1512582...jpg
Thank you
12/6/2017
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 4 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

Adrien Dupagne (1889 - 1980)

is a listed artist from Belgium

known for human genre, female nude, and landscape painting.

This 1956 painting has a value of $800 to $900 based on recent sales of his work.

The second painting is a 1926 landscape, artist unknown, with a value of $300 retail.

To sell, try ads on these sites; http://www.masterpieceonline.com, artbrokerage.com, askart.com, artnet.com, artvalue.com, or artprice.com.
Some other sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local) , Wanelo.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com,
Ebay and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
Please do click the stars now for this one, it is very important for me to get good feedback for answering.

I am following up to see if you are happy with your answer.
Please do let me know by clicking the stars or typing the words thank you.

Not really. I have researched Dupagne and seem to know more than what was provided. I also hoped to at least determine the name on the other painting. I felt minimum effort was provided.

I certainly understand. I will open the question to other experts that can possibly help decipher

that second painting for you. Once I opt-out I will not be able to respond. Good luck!

Antique Expert: Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 4 months ago
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Adrien DUPAGNE (1889-1980)

Dupagne is a well-listed Belgian born artist. He studied under Adrien de Witte, Oscar Berchmans and Evariste Carpentier at the Academy of Fine Arts in Liege. He graduated in 1910 in sculpture but was persuaded by his teachers to become a painter, though not before working as a sculptor in London in 1912 in the decoration of the interiors of the Titanic.

In his twenties he lived in Paris and by 1924 was exhibiting at the Venice Biennale. He's best remembered for his figural subjects, especially nudes, in which he excelled. He was an inveterate traveler, and painted throughout Europe, the Middle East, North Africa and America creating an enormous body of work recording genre scenes that perfectly capture the atmosphere of the places he visited and their people. He held regular exhibitions, notably at Devambez, Bernheim Jeune, Georges Aubry, the Musée des Beaux-Arts, Liège, and his paintings are in important museum collections in Antwerp and Liege.

His work sells better in Europe where he's more well known. The top price for one his paintings, a nude study, sold for $3500 at Christie's in London which gives a good idea of the value ceiling for yours. He did a number of these outdoor circus compositions while in Spain. This example, for instance, sold for EUR$1200 which is about right. I would give yours a US value at auction in the range of $800 - $1250. I would therefore insure it for at least $2500 as this would be considered its full 'replacement' value.

Emmanuel MEURIS (1894-1969)

Emmanuel Meuris was a highly talented but sadly unappreciated painter born in Liège, Belgium. In the art world he's often confused with an Italian watercolorist of the same name who painted touristy landscapes in the 19th century style on the Italian Riviera.

Your Meuris is much more painterly and should be much more appreciated than he is. Not a lot is known about him other than the paintings he left behind, mostly genre scenes and landscapes. He was also an engraver. He was a student of F. Maréchal and A. Donnay at the Academy of Fine Arts in Liège. The valleys of Vesdre and the Ourthe river were his favorite painting grounds and I dare say your beautiful composition of carefully selected buildings and topographical shapes & tones -almost with a nod to Cubism- is from somewhere in this picturesque region just south of the city of Liege.

This example of his work Le Village de Ster-Francorchamps, signed & dated 1943 (21" x 26") sold at auction for EUR$400 which is about typical for a painting of his this size. Yours is a little larger and more imposing. I would give it a US value range at auction in the $350 - $500 range (again this artist is little known outside Belgium) so that would give it a full replacement/insurance value of $1000.

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Excellent. My friend who owned these was born in Liege. She had many painting the Belgium government cataloged when she brought them to America as they were considered treasures of Belgium and she was not to sell them so they were donated to our local museum. Appreciate the information. Confidence restored.

Delighted to have helped, they are lovely works of art, especially the Meuris. Let's hope one day he'll get the true recognition he deserves. It takes a rare talent to paint like that.

Glad they are now in the safe custody of your local museum where they can be appreciated and hopefully inspire others.

All the best!

Robert.

Robert S.
Robert S.