Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a red star china sugar bowl (very ornate) with the…

Customer Question
I have a red...

I have a red star china sugar bowl (very ornate) with the red star markings and the word Prussia on the bottom. I use it for every day but my friends tell me I should not do that as it is a valuable piece. What do you think?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/5/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 8 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome! My name is***** will be pleased to help you. Thoughtful responses take time. I am studying your question and will return shortly.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the item.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

I do not send pop-up offers.

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

Sorry. Cannot send photos.
No. Thanks anyway. Just thought you might know something about "red star" china. The piece belonged to my great grandmother and I was told she brought it over on a boat from Prussia when there still was a Prussia on the map.

I certainly know about Red Star china from Prussia but there are many patterns made with this mark and they have several different values.

Can you send the photos?

Actually, the only genuine ***** *****ke this was used 1900-1920. There are 6 fake marks like this for porcelain made in China.