Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an oriental piece i dont know if it is a bokcase

Customer Question
I have an oriental...

I have an oriental piece i dont know if it is a bokcase black and red the top is 4 pieces of glass doors 2 center are 2" forward then 1 on each side sit back glass center with wood design behind like lattis black . behind the glass doors are..3 shelves in center and 3 shelves on each of the side compart ments. about 3" total highet. also ythe wood in side is tiger striped black stripes on angels on red colord wood, not painted real wood.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

The bottom is all drawers in the center the with of the top center 2 glass doors about 2' wide. the top drawer, the front of the drawer drops so it is like a secretary desk and has a metal latch on left side top that you push down and lets the front of the drawer drop to let you lean on to wright. the wood of the drawers is thick in the bottom and sides all around not cheep. also it is red with tiger black stripes angled, with a smooth like glass finish. the center in the back has a centered drawer drawer to hold paper about 5" wide and 5" deep with a shelf on each side. but more like a thick piece of wood lip. drawer does not pull forward all the way like the other 3 below it and the top drawer is half the depth. the bottom 3 drawers are about 6" in depth also very heavy wood red and black tiger striped. there is a side door on each side. the door in length is as long as the 4 drawers. the front of theses doors is wood with a dark metal ring in the center top of the door that is designed like it looks like a drawer then the rest of the door is flush with a oval piece of red wood in center and the outer wood is black (dark) with a 1700 key the shape of the key handle oval in dark metal on the inside of the door front so the left door opens from the right side of the door and swings away from the center of the pice. there is one centered shelf leaving you 2 shelves. one on bottom one on top. the right side is the same the door handel that looks like an old 1700 door key handles not a circle but more oval and the out side is not smooth oval but scrolled design like the left. it also is rigged were the top ring handle that looks like a drawer handle swings up and down and lays flat against the wood front of the door. the stiff handle is on the inside front of right door and pulls the right door open like the ring above it. both doors can swing open all the way to touch the side of the unit. there is a lip of an 1" 1/2 all around the top of the drawers to make the top of the piece the 4 glass doors look like a serpent piece that sits on top of the drawers. but this is all in one piece. the top of the piece is designed with carvings of what looks like pillers and squares the piece off with ledges over hanging on the very top. this is a very nice piece of craftsman ship and would be surprised to find that some of this is not done by hand. but the drawers are dovetailed and very tight. hummm and only the top drawer is finished the others are smooth sanded wood ond bottom and side pieces f the drawers. after all this i wonder if i can send pictures. please let me know what you think this is and maybe who made it and value. or use it to start the xmas fire to do marshmallows. thanks for your help mr gary singer

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Antiques
12/5/2017
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 4 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

please semd an email on this site i can send a pick. i need surgery on eyes and cant see the phone when you send a link to it. that is why i would like to call. it is 10.40 i am in pa will be here till 12.00 and then not back till 5'30 but would like to send picks and call later. this way you can do homework on issue. i have a lot of other things. gary

Hi~

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

i had to clear my massages i could not save please send site for me to send pics again sorry gary

Hi~

~Nora

could we eo a call i am blind in one eye with cataracts waiting for surgery typing is very hard

I would still need to see images in order to properly assess what you have.

~Nora

Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur