Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I am going to be closing a 67 year old sign company in

Customer Question
I am going to...

I am going to be closing a 67 year old sign company in February 2018. I have a shop full of antique metal, screen printed (baked enamel) signs I need to find a home for. Can you help me price them?

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I can send over pictures of the signs for you along with whatever else you may need. Please advise.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
12/4/2017
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 7 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment. ~Nora

For an estate appraisal you will really want to work with an accredited appraiser who is a member of one of 3 appraiser associations. To find one who specializes in antiques of this sort in your area, you will go to each of the 3 sites and enter your location into their 'find an appraiser' directories. From there, you will contact each qualified appraiser who comes up in your area and they will relay to you their fees for service.

Here are the links for you to each of the groups:

ISA, International Society of Appraisers: https://www.isa-appraisers.org/find-an-appraiser

ASA, American Society of Appraisers: http://www.appraisers.org/find-an-appraiser

AAA, Appraiser's Association of American: http://www.appraisersassociation.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Page.ViewPage&PageID=741

I also recommend contacting the estate sale company, Everything But the House; they conduct every step of the sale. Here is the link to their site for you: http://ebth.com

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Good start but no answer

Please send images of one item at your convenience.

I cannot assess a whole estate in one question, unfortunately.

~Nora

I sent in 3 photos with my question. where should I send the photo?
I have antique signs that my company made over the last 67 years. I am closing the business in February and need to sell the signs. How can I find out the value of the signs? They are metal, baked enamel, screen printed signs ranging in size from 1'x1' to 12" x 8'http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/yPRsYO0U/Burgie_Man.jpg
http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/CLkUo0Up/Flying_AIMG_1281.JPG
http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/OKBSFmU8/original_BankAmericard.jpg

Thank you for the images.

The BankAmericards sign could sell for up to $75.

Burgermeister Beer sign, up to $300.

Large Flying A service station sign, up to $2000.

Stop for Pedestrians sign up to $60.

Respirator Required sign up to $40.

Mayrath Grain elevator sign up to $500.

PBM Inc Sign up to $20.

Canadian Freightways sign up to $300.

Galvicide Sign up to $150.

~Nora

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora