Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Why this fine evening, I have a Norman Rockwell number xxxiv…

Customer Question
Why hello this fine...

Why hello this fine evening

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I have a Norman Rockwell number xxxiv of xxxv. The title is Children At The Window. It was purchased at the Old Corner House in 1978. I have all the paper work including certification.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Not really

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/2/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 7 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome! My name is***** will be pleased to help you. Thoughtful responses take time. I am studying your question and will return shortly.

Is it hand signed?

Then the estimated retail value is $400-450.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com/about/selling

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

I do know that number 35 belongs to the museum.

I do apologize, I reread my answer and found that I had mistakenly referred to the value I gave as the "retail value." It should have been auction value.

The actual retail value is in the range of $1800-2800.

Please forgive me.

Kind regards,

Doris

Are you still there?

Yes. I responded to your last message with a revised value.

Is there something else I can help you with about this very fine piece?

Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 7 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

I see you have requested a new expert here.

I am very familiar with the works of Norman Rockwell and his sale values. I worked at Illustration House Gallery and Auctions in NYC under the mentorship of ***** ***** who was a teaching assistant for Rockwell. We identified, authenticated and handled a large number of his original paintings, drawings and sketches while working closely with the Rockwell Museum.

Your hand signed lithograph print of "Children at the Window" is a limited edition with Roman numerals. The use of the Roman numerals indicates you have the first print runs that are referred to as Artist's Proofs. These were made in addition to the actual run of 200 signed and numbered prints.

Your AP signed print has a value of $3500 - $5000 on today's market. The valuation is based on actual past auction and gallery sales of comparables.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora