Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a painting Signed G Castiglione and it is famous one.

Customer Question
It is approximately 20.5" x...
I have a painting Signed G Castiglione and it is famous one. It is approximately 20.5" x 12.5". It is color and the motif is "The terrace of the Palace Royal Naples"? Has this been copied in color? The backing and frame is from the mid 1800 with wood backing and newspapers dating 1851 behind the wood! Any idea where the original might be? or is this it!
Best,
Bjorn
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/1/2017
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 4 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

I got photo 0145.jpg which is just the picture of the back.

Please also add one of the front and of any signatures or small writing

by using the +add files feature.

Giuseppe Castiglione (1829 - 1908)

is a listed artist from Italy. This painting titled Terrace of the Palais Royal Naples

was painted in 1877 and the original is in the Louvre in France.

Color lithographic prints were made later, from about 1880 to 1905 when this artist's work was most popular.

The print was obviously framed using a frame that is older than the print in this case based on what you've described.

This piece has a value of $300 to $450 retail.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local) , Wanelo.com, http://www.decluttr.com,
Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com,
Ebay and letgo.com (local).

You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an
auction house near you and consign to them.

Please do click the stars now for this one (bonuses are also welcome!), it is very important for me
to get good feedback for answering.

I am following up to see if you are happy with your answer.
Please do let me know by clicking the stars or typing the words "thank you" or "yes, I am happy with my answer".

Rarewares
Rarewares