Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

We have an antique round canister with brass handle that has…

Customer Question
HI we have an...

HI we have an antique round canister with brass handle that has been handed down in the family and we would like to understand a bit more history on the item, ie age, maker, value etc

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Its blue with small cloured flowers all over it its stamped with EPNS on the side of the canister and on the bottom it is stamped with made in England stamp and crest and a few numbers/letters on the bottom but I can make themall out

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

How can I send some pics?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Antiques
11/26/2017
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 9 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
Hi, I will be happy to help you with your canister. You can add photos by clicking on the paperclip icon.
Hi I have already upload the images can you advise if they have come through?

Thank you for the images and for your patience.

This canister is for holding pipe tobacco and also referred to as a biscuit jar.

The mark on the underside is for the maker W Wood & Co, Albert Street Works of Burslem, England in Staffordshire.

This mark was used by the maker from 1915 - 1932.

Yours is done in an asian style chintz transferprint design.

The hand painted numbers on the underside correlate to the mold form shape.

The metal parts are marked EPNS for electro-plated nickel silver.

This could sell for $175 - $275 on today's market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora