Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a wool blanket with an eagle, looks very old. Would…

I have a wool...

I have a wool blanket with an eagle, looks very old. Would like to find out more about it.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It is very colorful, and has lace trim I have a photo

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

It looks native american has arrow heads on the edges

11/23/2017
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Hello my name is***** would be happy to help you. Please post photos of the front and back and close up of the edging if possible. To post here within our chat click on the paperclip, add files or file upload button and follow the prompts. You may also email photos to***@******.*** and in the email please put for ladytanya65 so they know whom to forward the photos to. Thank you I look forward to helping you. Also, if you know the measurements that would help in the evaluation. I appreciate your assistance
The dimensions are 42 inches by 80 inches.
2E476F13-81F9-434B-8A44...jpeg2E476F...jpeg13873A3D-8BB2-4226-9197...jpeg13873A...jpegB73201E2-A3F4-4695-A215...jpegB73201...jpeg4ADECFBD-4577-44E6-8C05...jpeg4ADECF...jpeg36674FF1-3A6A-4236-B967...jpeg36674F...jpeg
I just sent photos by my phone. I have more. The eagle head going down is one side, and when it is facing up, it is the opposite side. I will send those next. I ran out of space. Let me know if you received the first 6 photos.

thank you I have five on my end here I appreciate the help seeing this helps me date and value it for you. I will start researching this now and post back when completed.

All of these are of the eagle upside down so if I can get one shot of the other side that would be great Thank you

Sent three more. One of the back, and two of the fringe.

these are perfect thank you so much I am working on this and you will get an email when I have posted again with my evaluation Thank you for your help. Beautiful blanket

I bought it at our historical society barn sale for $10 a few years ago. Put it in the closet and forgot all about it because I did not want the cat sleeping on it. Just found it today when I was cleaning.
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Your hand loomed wool blanket was produced in Mexico.

The eagle on cactus depicted on this is the coat-of-arms of Mexico. The depiction of an eagle attacking a snake over a prickly cactus is based on long-time legend and lore. Here is a link for you on the history of this seal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Mexico

Your loomed blanket is a symbolism for support of the Mexican Revolution, which was depicted often on objects and items as an unspoken message between others who supported the Revolution.

High value, $50 - $100.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Thank you for your patience This is a wonderful wool blanket. It represents the Mexican coat of arms and by the colors and size was done in the 1920-1930s. The colors are dyed from native plants and this is in excellent condition. The blanket should be kept out of direct sun as you have kept it to keep the colors vibrant. Value in today's market for insurance purposes us 250.00 and if you are looking to resale the piece the price you would see is 150-175.00 These are warm and last forever when well taken care of. Most were hung on walls for decoration and enjoyed. Thank you again for your assistance in helping on the photos. Have a great Thanksgiving.
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser