Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

What is the value of this Small tablaue of the princess of

Bavaria? It's about 11.5 cm by...
What is the value of this Small tablaue of the princess of Bavaria?
It's about 11.5 cm by 10.5 cm
https://imgur.com/a/ddrLU
11/22/2017
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser and I'd be happy to help.

A few questions:

1) How do you know this is a princess of Bavaria? I believe you mean Alexandra Amelie?

2) What material is it painted on? (Ivory, porcelain, etc.)

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Hi Jennifer
1- a trader who have and want to sell to me who said that
And here what he wrote to me:Early 19th century, very nice high quality antique miniature portrait of "Crown Princess Marie of Bavaria". Fine hand painted on ivory, in an ivory frame with a mother of pearl border and a bronze rim. Excellent condition. Amazing beautiful rare masterpiece.
Size: app. 11.9cm x 10.5cm. .Second he wrote ivory about the material.
Thx Jennifer

Thank you. And what country are you in? The US currently has very difficult ivory laws.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I am in egypt Jennifer and we don't have such laws.

Thank you.

This is Marie Sophie of Prussia, Queen of Bavaria.

This is a copy on ivory, of a quite well-known portrait of Marie Sophie, done by Joseph Stieler in 1843. However, it is much later--many of these were done as souvenirs, after her 1889 death, so circa 1890-1930. This copy does not bear the value that an original miniature would carry, done by the original artist. These were more souvenir items, not fine original art.

At auction, these tend to go in the $150 - $250 range.

If you have additional questions about this item, I am happy to continue working with you. Just continue our discussion in the reply box.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you, please rate my answer. I am not paid by the site until you do. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer, and I will continue to be available if you have more questions on the item. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars. I always strive for 5 star service, but please rate as you feel is appropriate. However, if you are considering a low rating, please try to give me the opportunity to improve my service to you first!

If you’d like to request me for future questions, please put " for Jennifer only" in your post. I respond to requested questions first.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

AppraiserJM
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Do you have an idea about the origin of this copy?
I guess it's german right

Yes, likely German. Definitely from within the area as they were done as souvenirs--I've actually seen several in the identical frame.

Jennifer

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thx Jennifer for help

You're very welcome!

AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM