Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Around 20 years ago I bought a samurai sword on an antique…

Customer Question
Good morning sir/ madam, Around 20...
Good morning sir/ madam,
Around 20 years ago I bought a samurai sword on an antique market in Jakarta. What is peculiar about it, is that it has Japanese (?) kanji engraved on both sides, including the part under the handle (22 kanji in total). In addition it has inlaid flower pattern on both sides (looks like a flower)
I would like to know what the kanji say and find out if the sword is real or fake. If it is real, then and indication of value would be welcome too. I have close up photos of the sword & kanji at hand. The kanji are numbered from the tip downward, all on side A are named A with consecutive number. Can you help me?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
Side A 100.jpgSide A...jpgA1.jpgA1.jpgA2.jpgA2.jpgA3.jpgA3.jpgA4.jpgA4.jpgA5.jpgA5.jpgA6.jpgA6.jpgA7.jpgA7.jpgA8.jpgA8.jpgA9.jpgA9.jpgA10.jpgA10.jpgSide B 100.jpgSide B...jpgB1.jpgB1.jpgB2.jpgB2.jpgB3.jpgB3.jpgB4.jpgB4.jpgB5.jpgB5.jpgB6.jpgB6.jpgB7.jpgB7.jpgB8.jpgB8.jpg
Attached additional photos that could not be included on the initial request.
B9.JPGB9.JPGB10.JPGB10.JPGB11.JPGB11.JPGB12.JPGB12.JPGSide A handle.JPGSide A...JPGSide B handle.JPGSide B...JPG
Answered in 6 days by:
11/28/2017
Antique Expert: Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser replied 6 months ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

My name is Glenda,
No one here can read the Japanese markings on the sword. The information you are wanting is something that needs to be looked at in person by someone who specializes in Japanese Swords. You can find those appraisers by looking at the International Society of Appraisers or the American Society of Appraisers. These are the two largest organizations where you can find certified appraisers to look at this.

Glenda

Hi Glenda,
My name is***** to say that I am very disappointed with this answer, I could have found out more if I had posted this on a free board for samurai swords. Having JustAnswers charging me USD 48 for this is a ripoff.What I would have expected is for an expert to contact other experts until an answer was provided, yes an answer, not a referral.I understand this is not your fault, rather the fault of the policy of JustAnswers so please do not take it personally.Regards,
Frank

Frank

No problem, I actually did not give you an answer. I was just letting you know as an Appraiser that what you have and the information you are looking for needs to be done in person. Or at best on a site that does nothing but these Antique Swords from Japan. There is not anyone here that is an expert in this. To be honest the compensation that the appraisers get, most will not take on the time it takes to do the research needed for your item. The site is really set up to get An Answer as fast as possible, so most appraisers take questions that they can easily answer with information or experience they already know or can reach quickly with their reference materials. The item you have will take some research time. Since appraisers are not employees of the site so we cannot speak of what charges the customer is charged, we do not get to see any of that. We come to the site to answer questions that customers post there. We are just users of the site, just like the customer. I just wanted you to know that there is not anyone here that can help you on the site. And let you know in your best interest it would be best to have this looked at in person.

Glenda

Thanks Glenda, for your in depth explanation.
Unfortunately, this time I will have to seek the answers elsewhere.Let's close this issue.Have a nice day & kind regards,
Frank

You are welcome