Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

We have a blanket (quilt bedspread) that was woven probably…

We have a blanket...

We have a blanket (quilt bedspread) that was woven probably in the late 1700s. It was woven on a hand loom by my husband's family. The John Brandt Family.. they lived on a farm in Virginia. They raised Sheep, made yarn, dyed it and wove the Homespun cloth. It is red, white and navy blue. Would you think it has any value? In the early 1940s my mother in law was asked to loan it for a display at Kaufman's Department Store in Pittsburgh PA .

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

The colors are still vivid. This area is now Westmoreland County PA.

11/22/2017
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

My name is Glenda,
Can you send a picture and size of this?

Glenda It is 72" by 72" not counting fringe which is about 5" all the way around. The color is really red, cream and navy blue. I am not proficient on internet. It is a plaid design. I can send a picture when one of my children are here.

Hello

That will be fine, I will be here all day.

I am sorry but, I do not do phone calls, I believe appraisals are best in writing ( my personal opinion ) this way the customer can print it and it does not cost extra.

Glenda

Glenda Can you give me your address and I will send you info I have? Plus pictures?

send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
.
Glenda

OK Will send info as soon as I can. Thanks

You are welcome

Hello

I received the pictures thank you, ***** ***** is this? Also what are you showing me the paper for? What does it say?

Glenda

72 By 72 plus 5"fringe on three sides. The paper was information that told it was made on a hand loom etc. Probably in 1800th century, etc. Will have my daughter send that again if not readable.

Hello

That is fine, I do not need to see that. That is something you should hang onto for provenance though.

.

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.
The Hand Woven, Home Spun Coverlet, 1700's 72 x 72 has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $1***-**-****.00. For insurance purposes the value ( cost replacement ) would be 45-50% higher.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. This is the only way we get compensated for our work.They should be located top left of the page. Or you may see review expert or rate expert.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Glenda B.
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser