Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

What Silver maker has wings as a mark, then IN a backward C

Hi. What Silver maker...
Hi. What Silver maker has wings as a mark, then IN a backward C and S followed by PG?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I'm flummoxed
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Oh, OK.. I have a lot of antiques to sell in addition to a bunch of silver. One is a Convex glass painting with a royal Gold plated frame (broken). I have seen others go for around $130 but this one, I believe, is special. It features a very intricate pre civil war ballroom scene, and a lot is taking place in this painting! Including, I believe some historic activities. I have been trying to locate the plantation which must have been the location for this ball, but have been unable to do so. It's a shame that the frame is badly broken, but the painting itself is in excellent condition. Also, I have a wooden chamber stool. There is no metal chamber pot inside, but the top of the stool lifts up to show a potty seat and below this is a box which would hold the pot, and this has a clasped door which can be opened to remove said pot
11/22/2017
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

My name isCustomerand I'd love to help. To keep it organized, let's do one item per question so the photos do not get confusing. I'd like to see the silver you mentioned and the mark since that is my first specialty.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including marks, labels or signatures.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
ok.. this could take a while. Some I have appraised already but will confirm with you if that's ok?

Sure. Just do the one silver item, please. Photos are not always in order and

it gets confusing on this side if you add photos of more than one item at once.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Should I send more pictures one at a time with descriptions, or would you like for me to wait?

1) National Silver silver-plated (not sterling) steak knives (2) made in 1951 in the Rose pattern, valued at $2.00 each.

2) A set of silver plated knives made in the 1940's with a value of $3.00 each. The logo of MDX PG with wings

is not listed in any of my searches or databases or books. If a piece of silver is not marked sterling or 925, then it is silver plated (not silver).

May I see the mark?

3) International Silver silver plated fork in the Camelot/Harvest pattern from 1936 and 1964, value of $1.00

4) Reed and Barton Old Lexington pattern stainless faltware, made in the 1950's in Korea, value of $10 for the set pictured

Chrome heart, ball and triangle wine stopper corks, contemporary,

$3.00 each. http://www.myweddingfavors.com/heart-stopper-in-box.html

what is that marking on?

set of Inox stainless steel german/swiss knives, 1960's, $5.00 for the set.

Rostfrei is the german word for rust-free, their term for Stainless steel. This fork is from the 1950's and worth $1.00.

1960's cream ladle in stainless steel, value of $2.00.

Silver plated dinner knife, mark illegible, circa 1930, value of $2.00.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Towle sorry

Towle stainless steel steak knife in the Byfield pattern 1983-1995, value of $10.00 each.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
OK! Want to see the potty?

Sure.

This is a circa 1840 chamber stool, American, that would

have held a removable white ironstone chamber pot.

The value of this piece is $75 to $100.

Some sites that I recommend for selling this and your other items are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local) , Wanelo.com, http://www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com,
Ebay and letgo.com (local).

You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

Please do click the stars now for this one (bonuses are also welcome!), it is very important for me
to get good feedback for answering.

Rarewares
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The bottom says Illinois specialties famous for originality and quality
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I’m confused. Why would a German artist include a 9 or 10 year old African American girl as a server?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Was this a thing?

There were black slaves used all over Europe. France was most prevalent, but

it was common in all countries. It is also possible that the German artist was depicting a French scene.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Hmm. That’s interesting. I’m going to have to research that once my children go to college and I have a bit of time. Thanks for your information today
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Good work
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Last thing, any way to find the artist?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Name?

Sorry, I was mistaken. I had it confused because the painting I saw was in Berlin, Germany and I assumed it was a German artist.

This one is French. Titled Dance in a Pavilion by Nicolet Lancret (1690-1743) painted from 1730-35

Oil on canvas, 130 x 97 cm
original is in Schloss Charlottenburg, Berlin, Germany.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I found all of this in a dumpster. Seriously

I've done my share of diving. I believe it!

Could you go back and accept (click stars) for the open ones we did?

The silverware and the Lenox jars? I would really appreciate it. Five stars is

the only way the site separately pays me for my work.

Rarewares
Rarewares