Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have,a samuel alcock exact copy of the Portland vase.is it…

Customer Question
I have,a samuel...

I have,a samuel alcock exact copy of the Portland vase.is it of any great value.i believe it was on display in the Melb 1800 exhibition.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It is marked on the bottom,s a and co.it is exact measure as the real Portland vase.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

On feed base it is marke d u/458.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
11/22/2017
Antique Expert: ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser replied 7 months ago
ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser

Thanks for the question! The most common version of these replica Portland vases is the one by Wedgewood, an example of which is in the Metropolitan Museum in New York, see: https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/187784

and here's another great resource on its history. More likely it is a later copy since it does not have Wedgewood markings, but even these 19th century copies have substantial value, here's one that sold for $1,050 recently (see also: https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/3031B/lots/328).

The Alcock copies are also desirable and 458 is likely the number out of the 9,500 produced, see: http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/Lot/a-porcelain-model-of-the-portland-vase-5354400-details.aspx

Examples of these in good condition sell for $1,500 to $2,500 typically! Later ones with more color variations can sell for less, such as this one with redware base that brought $800 at a recent sale, see also: https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/3020B/lots/282

Again, thanks and let me know if I can be of further help. Please use the 5-star rating system to rate my professionalism as it's the sole way experts are recognized by JustAnswer for our service.

There are also other variations that can sell for less from Alcock, like this red-base that sold for $800, see also: https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/3020B/lots/282 and the value largely depends on the color palate used and condition.

Hello! Following-up because I noticed that you have not yet viewed your answer, but wanted to see if you wanted any additional information. Again, thanks! Accepting and rating an answer using the 5-star system is the sole way that JustAnswer experts are recognized for helping.