Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Is there a doll expert in the house? I doubt this doll is…

Customer Question
Is there a doll...

Is there a doll expert in the house?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I doubt this doll is antique, but here is what I can read from aback the neck:

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

HILDA JDK Co. Germany N1070 Gos.gesch. She is black, and 18", somewhat loose limbed (especially head) but in otherwise excellent condition. Porcelain (I think) head and compo body.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
11/22/2017
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 7 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the doll
and the marks on the back of her neck or shoulder.

Markings on back of neck are hard to read and almost impossible to photograph, partly I guess because of the dark coloring. Here is what I can discern: JDK Jr V1070. Germany. Gos. Gesch. N1070. And it looks like 1914 although I’m fairly sure this is a reproduction. Let me know if you would like more photos. As I said the body is compo and the head appears to be porcelain
I am back on my computer - awaiting reply to picture and description I texted to you. It is easier to use computer rather than text if that works for you. Please know I have already researched this doll on Ebay and did not get answer as to whether this is a $500 or $50 item, so I am assuming any info you provide goes way beyond that. Thanks.

J. D. Kestner, Jr. of Waltershausen, Thuringia, Germany began making dolls as early as 1820.

This rare black 1914 HILDA bisque head doll has brown glass sleep eyes, open mouth with two upper teeth and separately molded tongue, black mohair wig over original plaster pate on a five piece bent limb body that would have originally been wearing an antique white cotton baby dress and matching bonnet.

Ges Geshutz is the German term for copyright and 1070 is the mold number for the head.

This doll has a current value of $1200 to $1400 retail. The similar Hilda doll in the smaller,more rare mold head of 10/245 recently sold for $1900.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local) , Wanelo.com, http://www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com,
Ebay and letgo.com (local).

You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

Please do click the stars now for this one (bonuses are also welcome!), it is very important for me
to get good feedback for answering.

I am following up to see if you are happy with your answer.
Please do let me know by clicking the stars or typing the words "thank you" or "yes, I am happy with my answer".