Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

Value of 2 pictures by Tyrus Wong...1 is titled Imaginary

Landscape..I believe they both are...
value of 2 pictures by Tyrus Wong...1 is titled Imaginary Landscape..I believe they both are with same title... both in excellent condition...
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Both are large in frame..both have deer and trees with mountains in the back ..
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: what would you need.
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/22/2017
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome! My name is***** will be pleased to help you. Thoughtful responses take time. I am studying your question and will return shortly.

What size is your piece (in inches) not including the frame and mat? Please do not remove from the frame.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.
If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the front and back of your framed pieces.

Please send a photo of the signature.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

I do not send pop-up offers.

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send a photo of the signature.

I do not send pop-up offers.

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Already confirmed they are lithograph pictures done by Tyrus Wong they are on his web..there is also one at the auction..which there isn't any value or auction bid... Just wondering value..size of just picture is 14''x18''.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
No I think we can chat...
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Hello are you there?

********************
I do not normally participate in the extra charge phone call services. I give my best answers in thoughtful writing.

Besides, you will have an assessment to print out. I did not send the pop-up ad/offer.

********************

Tyrus Yu Wong (1910-2016)

"This Chinese-born artist is a painter, lithographer, and designer who studied at Otis Art Institute. A production illustrator in the film industry, Wong has worked for such studios as Disney and Warner Bros. He was also one of the first fine artists to apply his talent to the designing of Christmas cards.

Tyrus Wong and his father immigrated to the United States from China when he was 9 years old. When he attended Benjamin Franklin Junior High in Pasadena, his teachers noticed Wong's artistic ability and arranged for a summer scholarship at the Otis Art Institute. Wong was hooked and decided to leave junior high for a full time studentship at Otis. Since his family was poor, he worked as a janitor at this school and walked for miles just to attend classes. It paid off as Tyrus Wong had a lucrative career as an artist in Hollywood.

He has done everything from working as a greeting card designer to Warner Brothers film production illustrator (1942-1968), from drawing set designs and storyboard for several movies to being a Disney inspirational sketch artist (1938-1941). It was his lush pastels that served as inspiration for Bambi (1942)."
Source:
Website of the Otis Art Institute

His lithographs sell for an estimated retail value of $350 each.

As for retail value, I have seen art sell for 4 to 10 times auction values depending on the tastes of the art gallery owner as well as location of the gallery.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or via consignment can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be the pro that takes the question.

Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Sorry didn't find this helpful...

What else would you like to know?

If framed, these would be worth more.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
they are in frames..you asked for just the picture size...

unfortunately, you were unable to send photos.

If well framed and matted, they would have an estimated retail value of $400-500 depending on the quality of the frame.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Sorry haven't gotten the value... is what I was searching for...

"His lithographs sell for an estimated retail value of $350 each." i copied and pasted this sentence from my original answer. It is the retail value unframed.

As I just stated, the estimated retail value range matted and framed is $400-500.

What other types of values are you looking for?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Thank-you..this gives me at least a figure...

Good.

Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser