Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a mark that has stumped me, it appears to be on a…

Customer Question
I have a mark...

I have a mark that has stumped me, it appears to be on a French porcelain footed console bowl. It has 3 symbols and is written in a maroon ink, the first is a cursive Y, the second symbol is a S inside a circle that is inside a diamond and the third symbol is a straight vertical line with two shorter horizontal lines crossing through the vertical. I also have photos. THANKS

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

It is a highly decorated console bowl with hand painted flowers and cross hatching.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Antiques
11/21/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 10 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as a dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.
Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

What size is the bowl in inches?

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the bowl.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

I do not send pop-up offers.

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

9" across, 5.25" wide with four feet in an elongated quadrafoil shape. Please see attached photos and thank you for your time. Jennifer
20171119_164237.jpg2017111...jpg20171119_163713.jpg2017111...jpg20171119_163716.jpg2017111...jpg20171119_163544(0).jpg2017111...jpg20171119_163849.jpg2017111...jpg20171119_163743.jpg2017111...jpg20171119_164236.jpg2017111...jpg
Thanks again!

You are welcome.

Please allow a few minutes to study your photos.

Please take your time, I am in no hurry. Jennifer

Unfortunately, I was unable to find an accurate answer to your question.
I am going to release your question (opt-out) so that if another professional knows the answer, he/she can help you.
There is no extra charge if another professional responds to your question.
I will not be able to respond to your questions once I opt-out.
I hope you find the answer to your question.
Kind regards,
Doris

Antique Expert: Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions replied 10 months ago
Erin-Marie Wallace
Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions

Dear Jennifer,

Greetings, my name is ***** ***** I am a federally certified Fine Art and Antiques appraiser and licensed auctioneer with a Master’s degree from Sotheby’s Institute, UK. I'd like to try to assist you with deciphering the maker'a mark on your porcelain bowl. Give me a few moments to go through some of my reference materials and let me see what I can uncover for you.

Most Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

Jennifer,

Do you have an image that illustrates the graphite writing on the base as well? I'd like to see everything possible. By the way, your photos are great and I adore the fleur de lis backdrop, very elegant!

Regards,

Erin-Marie

THANK YOU!! I have taken new photos of just the underside so you can fully see the mark and handwriting. It is my understanding that the handwritten text belongs to the original owner, it is my understanding that she purchased it from an Antique/2nd Hand store in Paris. I tried to decipher the 3 symbol mark in French marks and all I could come up with is a similar Y as Bouillat-floral decoration and the vertical mark with two horizontal as being similar to Bourg la Reine(their porcelain pieces). Thinking it might be Serves, I was unsuccessful in any confirmation. Thank you so much for your time and knowledge. Jennifer

Good Morning Jennifer!

Thank you for the additional images, thank you for supplying the additional images, you and I are rather on the same track, Sevres area, although the painting reminds me of German "deutsche blumen" as well so I'm going in that direction too. Sit tight, the holiday has me traveling and I might not be in front of my computer as often as I usually am but I am working on this for you.

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

Erin-Marie:
Great!! Please take your time, and above all.....enjoy your holiday! Thank you. Jennifer
Antique Expert: Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions replied 9 months ago

Dear Jennifer,

I'm not having luck de-coding the back-stamp so I am going to opt out and open this question up to the other experts. Best of luck!

Most Sincerely,

Erin-Mare