Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a Queen Anne Mahogany side table that was my great…

Customer Question
I have a Queen...

I have a Queen Anne Mahogany side table that was my great grandfather’s. It have a lion face carved on the front with claw feet and black Italian marble. I was told by my grandmother that he had it commissioned in England before they moved to the US, sometime before the turn of the 20th century. It is in exceptional condition. I just have no idea of its value or where I can get it appraised.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

No — I don’t think so - it doesn’t have any marketing’s on except it except Queen Anne Py

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Antiques
11/21/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 8 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome! My name is***** will be pleased to help you. Thoughtful responses take time. I am studying your question and will return shortly.

Thank you

This late 19thC carved Regency revival style side table has an estimated retail value of $2000-2400.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com/about/selling

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

What do you mean by revival style?

The Georgian Regency period in England was 1810-1820 at the last of George III's reign.

This period featured a more ornate, decorative design in furniture, art and architecture than the earlier George III period. It was in some ways similar to the French Rococo designs of the 18thC.

Toward the end of the 20thC there was a revival of earlier period designs.

I hope this helps.

Positive, please.

Kind regards,

Doris

This was commissioned the end of the 19th C, somewhere, around 1890

I realize that. In this case, "revival" means the use of a design from an earlier period. This is not the same use as a "revival" in the religious sense.

Maybe this help from the definition of the word. Kind regards,

Doris

re·viv·al

rəˈvīvəl/

noun

noun: revival; plural noun: revivals

1. an improvement in the condition or strength of something.

"a revival in the fortunes of the party"

synonyms:improvement, recovery, rallying, picking up, amelioration, turn for the better, upturn, upswing, resurgence

"a revival in the economy"

antonyms:downturn

• an instance of something becoming popular, active, or important again.

"cross-country skiing is enjoying a revival"

synonyms:comeback, reestablishment, reintroduction, restoration, reappearance, resurrection, regeneration, renaissance, rejuvenation

"the revival of traditional crafts"

antonyms:disappearance

• a new production of an old play or similar work.

• a reawakening of religious fervor, especially by means of a series of evangelistic meetings.

"the revivals of the nineteenth century"

• a restoration to bodily or mental vigor, to life or consciousness, o

I thought of something else that might be confusing you. The 1890 is the late 19thC. The 1800s are called the 19thC.

8212; I know — but in your response, you said the end of the 20th C.

I am so sorry. It is 5AM here and I am a one finger typist.

Please accept my apologies.

I appreciate your understanding patience.

8212; it’s 3 am here and thank you for your help — I am off to sleep

*********************
I am only credited by the Just Answer site for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

*********************