Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a very old coin that was given to me. Around the rim…

Customer Question
I have a very...

I have a very old coin that was given to me

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Around the rim it says neroclavdcaesaraysgercmtrpimeer

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

On the back there are 2 men on horses and decvrsio

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Antiques
11/21/2017
Antique Expert: ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser replied 7 months ago
ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser

Thanks for the question! It seems that you have a bronze Sestertius, a larger Roman coin from the time of Roman Emperor Nero. The obverse (front) Obv: NEROCLAVDIVSCAESARAVGGERMPMTRPIMPP - Laureate head left.
The reverse (back) has: No legend Exe: DECVRSIO - Nero riding horse right, holding spear; solider holding vexillum to right and soldier holding standard to left. c.63 (Rome). This (and ones like it) sell for $400 to $600 in circulated condition (see: https://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotviewer.php?LotID=1021794&AucID=1994&Lot=464&Val=313a23fda590c016a3721d46dc9c73d3) and a key thing to look for is the edge. If it has a seam on it (where it looks like two halves were joined) then it is a modern electrotype copy of little value.

Again, thanks and let me know if I can be of further help. Please use the 5-star rating system to rate my professionalism as it's the sole way experts are recognized by JustAnswer for our service.

Hello! Following-up because I noticed that you have not yet viewed your answer, but wanted to see if you wanted any additional information. Again, thanks! Accepting and rating an answer using the 5-star system is the sole way that JustAnswer experts are recognized for helping.