Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a penguin scotch decanter that plays music, estimated…

I have a penguin...

I have a penguin scotch decanter that plays music, estimated from 1955. I have not been able to find anything like it online. Can you help?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Unfortunately that is all I know about it, one collector told me he estimated the worth at apx. $1500.00. It belonged to my husbands grandfather. I do have pictures if that helps

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

It is in great condition, plays the song Lala's theme, was made in Japan and has a cork stopper

11/20/2017
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome! My name is***** will be pleased to help you. Thoughtful responses take time. I am studying your question and will return shortly.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos.

To send photos you may use the "ADD (or ATTACH) FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

I do not send pop-up offers.

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

I have attached four photo's if you need more just let me know. Thank you Lori
20171024_084040.jpg2017102...jpg20171024_084127.jpg2017102...jpg20171024_084219.jpg2017102...jpg20171024_084158.jpg2017102...jpg

This mid-century modernist musical penguin decanter has an estimated retail value of $200-250.

I truly wish I had better news.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com/about/selling

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.
Thank you again.
**********************