Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have china that was given to me from my great grandmother.

On the back it has...
I have china that was given to me from my great grandmother. On the back it has the Rosenthal logo and written letters that appear to be zh. On the front there is a crown mark with roses and the dishes are blue with gold trim. I am trying to find out how much they are worth so that I can sell them. Can you help?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: I can send a picture. The trim is scalloped like a pie but small dots, the first interior rim is a sky blue and then a thin gold trim followed by ivory color with a beautiful center trimmed in gold with what looks like a winner's trophy overflowing with flowers.
11/20/2017
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

If it's not too much trouble, can you give me a list of exactly what pieces you have in your set? Depending on just what you have the value can vary quite a bit.

.

Can you post some pictures of the pattern and any marks on the bottom?

.

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then you can click this link for instructions on uploading images
.
ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

.

thanks,

Diana

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I will attach some pictures. Have 24, 7-pc place settings. They each have either a number it initials on back of each piece.
1511219666423612292357.jpg1511219...jpg15112197498771413439947.jpg1511219...jpg1511219803710815335561.jpg1511219...jpg1511219965586859308026.jpg1511219...jpg

Thank you so much.

.

Do you have a picture of the mark on the back?

.

Just to be sure what you have, you mentioned 7 pieces per setting, but that you have 24 pieces. 7 doesn't go in to 24, so are you missing some pieces?

.
Thanks,
Diana

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I have 24 place settings not pieces. A different "mark" is at bottom of each piece, but all have the same label.

Thanks for clarifying.

.

That type of edging is called a pearl edge. Rosenthal used to use it on some of their higher end china patterns during the early part of the 20th century. It has a blue band with a golden pearl edge and a floral urn center. The pattern actually came in about 8 different color combinations and variations.

.
It's long since been discontinued, which means that some of your pieces are much harder to find and will have a much higher value.

.

I can actually give you prices both individually and as a set so you'll know the value of each piece and as a set. Here is a breakdown value for your pieces that I see in your picture:

24 dinner plates- $35 to $40 each

24 salad plates - $25 to $30 each

24 bread butter plates - $20 to $25 each

24 cup / saucer sets - - $40 to $45 each set

24 double handle soup bowls and saucer sets - $45 to $50 each set

.

As a whole set, it should have a value around $1900 to $2300. It will have an insurance value of $3000
.

That should do it, but if I missed anything, please let me know.
.
The reason I broke it down is because sometimes you can get a higher value by breaking the set up or by piecing it out. It does take longer, but you get the higher values and it helps to know what each piece is worth.

.

Deciding on which way to sell it really depends on how fast you need to sell it. If you'd like to sell it fast, I'd recommend selling it as one lot and in the lower price range.
.

The only downside to selling china right now is that there are a number of people trying to currently get rid of their china so there is quite a bit on the market. It make take a few selling tries, but there are collector's out there.
.
I can give you a few ideas for selling if you're interested. For selling, Etsy and Amazon's marketplace are great alternatives to Ebay. There is also Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic. They're more like online antique shops. They do cost a bit more to list there, but they get higher prices. Etsy is a good alternative if you want some place with lower listing fees. They have the lowest rates around right now.
.
Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. Ebay, like with any auction, you can expect about 1/2 of the actual value. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). The only downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Have a great evening,

~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Wonderful. Do you know the name of this set? It's very different and I can't find it anywhere on line.

Unfortunately, no. I found the pattern listed in a few replacement guide, but there's no official "name" attached. Like most of the older companies, some of their oldest patterns never had names and for those that did, many of those records have been lost. European dinnerware companies in particular didn't fare well after the war. You run into similar issues with old Haviland and Noritake. Rosenthal actually has a bit of a iffy history involving the Nazi Party and there was a lot of infighting between board members and owners. The factory even shut down for a bit in the 40s.

.

If you're lucky, some old pieces will still have a number code that's been adopted, but for most, they've been given modern number codes, which will vary from site to site.

.

If you want to add pieces to it, the best way is to search by the description. For yours, it would be, scalloped with blue band, a gold pearl edge and a floral urn center.

~Diana

Hi. Thank you for the positive rating. I appreciate it. If there's anything else I can help with, please let me know.

Best Wishes,
Diana

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thank you so much! You have been extremely helpful! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad I could help. It's been a pleasure working with you. I hope you have a great holiday.

~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser