Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

How can I tell if the painting I own is an antique,

Customer Question
How can I tell...

How can I tell if the painting I own is an antique, especially if I don’t know the artist?

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

That’s it. Can an appraiser know by looking at a photograph of the painting?

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

It was originally in an auction .

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Antiques
11/20/2017
Antique Expert: Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 10 months ago
Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help. I've been an appraiser for 29 years, and am the president of the Association of Online Appraisers.

The value of a painting can be determined without knowing the artist. It is valued based on composition and the rate of activity in the picture.

If you have a painting for appraisal, please upload clear pictures, front and back.

Ok, but I don’t want it posted to the web.

Not sure what you mean.

Hello, can you guarantee that my picture will not be posted to your website?
Sorry painting.

When you post the pictures, you are posting them to this web site.

For public viewing.

This is not for public viewing, but other Experts will be able to see it.

I was able to find one artist named Sandon, but the style doesn't match.

We can consider this painting anonymous.

The frame is worth more than the painting. It is an elaborate gesso frame.

The painting is an early 20th century work, but it has substantial damage and that will lower its value substantially.

If the frame is in excellent condition, the current retail (replacement or insurance) value of the frame and painting is approximately $450. If you were to sell the frame, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction)value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $180, depending on location and actual condition. i don't think you'll be able to sell the painting in this condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you. Please let me know if you'd like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to do that.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button), at no extra cost to you. Your positive rating is how I am credited for my work. Please click the five stars above, and then click the green button. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

Best wishes,

Judith-on-Antiques

Was there something else you needed to know about this painting?

Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com; experts are verified users. Experts are only credited when and if you, the customer, leaves a favorable rating.

Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no additional cost to you.