Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a 1943 weat penny I did the test with thedates and

Customer Question
I have a 1943 weat...
I have a 1943 weat penny I did the test with thedates and with magnet and the penny stuck to it,, the coin not in best shap but can read all markings,, it this real
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: i have a 1943 weat penny that does stick to a magnet and is a different color from the rest there is some rust but still see all marking is this a real penny
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: of all my coins only this coin sticks to a magnet
Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Antiques
11/20/2017
Antique Expert: ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser replied 23 days ago
ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser

Thanks for the question! 1943-cents were struck from steel to preserve copper for World War II. Rust is consistent with most of these, and the composition was used for just a year. Examples were struck at the Philadelphia, Denver and San Francisco Mints and all are common. They are typically worth around a dime, and here's a great resource on their value and history, see: https://www.thespruce.com/worth-of-1943-penny-768863

Again, thanks and let me know if I can be of further help. Please use the 5-star rating system to rate my professionalism as it's the sole way experts are recognized by JustAnswer for our service.

Antique Expert: ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser replied 21 days ago

Hello! Following-up because I noticed that you reviewed your answer but did not elect to rate it and I wanted to see if you wanted any additional information. Again, thanks! Accepting and rating an answer using the 5-star system is the sole way that JustAnswer experts are recognized for helping.

ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser