Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

Looking for info on a coalport cup and saucer. Somehow my

Looking for info on a...
Looking for info on a coalport cup and saucer
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Somehow my last message was sent before I finished. There are numbers on the bottom of the cup and saucer. Looks like 38c /82 To V.4788./A
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: They have a picture of a bird and a tree on them.
11/19/2017
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is Diana.

,

Do you think you could send some photos of them? Anything of the pattern and the mark on the back would be great.

.

To send photos:

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then you can click this link for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

.

thanks,

Diana

Hi. Thank you. I got a picture of the mark, but not the pattern. If you tried to send two, only one picture came through.

~Diana

That's it. That's perfect. Let me take a look at these and see if I can put together the actual pattern name and other information for you.

Thanks!

Hi. It look Coalport only ever gave this pattern a number code. It's called Z3137. There are about 6 different colors that it came in ranging from a multicolor to green to pink. Some of the variations include changing not just the color of the border, but also the bird and flower too. Many of the color combinations were specific to certain store and retailers. I know some pieces of this pattern were sold at the old Tiffany's Dept. store.

.

For dating your pieces, the crown mark has been used since about 1881. They added "made in england" around 1920. Given the history on your pattern, your cups and saucer set should date to about the 1920s/1930s. For as many variations as it came in, it's actually a pretty hard to find pattern with only a few pieces turning up here and there.

.

A single cup and saucer set is worth about $150 to $175

.

The prices will vary a bit depending on where you try to sell it. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction, Ebay, or selling it to a dealer.

.

For selling them yourself, Etsy is a great alternative to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores too. They generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey. They do get the "higher" paying customers though. There's a fairly new site called Charish that is starting to get some great attention. Etsy would be great for something like this and they have some of the lowest listing rates.
.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale. The only big downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thanks for your help. If I put DianaF in the request next time I have something will it get to you ?
Have a good thanksgiving.

Hi. You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help.

.

Yes. If you put my name at the beginning of your question, that will make sure that it goes to me.

.
If there's anything else I can help with, please let me know.

Best Wishes,
Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser