Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I bought a vase the other day and it has initial’s in the…

I bought a vase...

I bought a vase the other day and it has initial’s in the side at the bottom small f and capital W on the side. Wondering if u knew anything about it.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Can I send a photo which might help it’s a brownish black glazed ceramic vase with initials f W on side on bottom

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Kind of has that German look

11/19/2017
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including marks, labels or signatures.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

The three pictures added were of the vase on a table. I would also like to see the bottom and the mark you described.

I don’t actually have the vase with me but as soon as I contact my mother I will be able to send those details.

Great, thank you.

I am not able to see the mark in this picture, so let's wait until you can show me the mark and the bottom of the vase.

I am unable to find a match for this item. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hi my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you,

Porzellanfabrik F. Wessel (1949 until 1964)

There is only very little known about this manufacturer, most probably because the business only existed for a very a short time. Friedrich Wilhelm Wessel founded the factory in 1949 and mainly produced lace figurines and porcelain household utilities. Nearly right from the start he got into constant trouble for the misuse of the 'Dresden' designation which he was not allowed to use as his items were not decorated in Dresden, nor were they decorated by workers that had learned the trade in a Dresden decoration studio. Wessel also used a slightly modified but nonetheless unauthorized copy of an older Frankenthal mark which further increased his problems. The only sure thing is that he was not related with the well known Wessel family from Bonn. Once the factory closed he began making studio art and signing the pieces by fW or FW on the bottom rim, both were used in the markings. He continued on until the late 1970s. His studio art consisted of vases, bowls, umbrella baskets= things opposite of the company items. The dark brown glaze is fired at a medium heat to keep the richness to the glaze. This is a nice vase has a value of 185.00 for insurance purposes and the retail value is 65-75.00

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars: 1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions

LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Thank you! Very happy with your appraisal. Many thanks.