Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have 2 "Kline" works. I would like to know more about

I have 2 "Kline" works...
I have 2 "Kline" works. I would like to know more about them. One is a watercolor and the other is painted onto some kind of brown paper......could these be David Klein?
image0.jpgimage0.jpgimage1.jpgimage1.jpgimage2.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpgimage4.jpg
11/19/2017
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome! My name is***** will be pleased to help you. Thoughtful responses take time. I am studying your question and will return shortly.

Oops. It autocorrected. You should also see in the pictures...they are "Klein" works... (different spelling)

What size is your piece (in inches) not including the frame and mat? Please do not remove from the frame.

Both are @ 10x13.

Medard P. Klein was active/lived in Illinois, Wisconsin. Medard Klein is known for non objective paintings and graphics.

The artist Medard P Klein signed his name exactly like the artist "Klein" that did your pieces.

While these pieces are not his in predominate style, he did a few like these.

See the following image of one.

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at completed sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.

We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this widely accepted method of assessment, I determined an ESTIMATED AUCTION VALUE of $350-450 for each of your pieces.

As for retail value, I have seen art sell for 4 to 10 times auction values depending on the tastes of the art gallery owner as well as location of the gallery.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or via consignment can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be the pro that takes the question.

Image

Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.
Thank you again.
**********************

Doris
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser