Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a belt that I was told could be from the 14th

Customer Question
I have a belt...

I have a belt that I was told could be from the 14th century. It is very worn, made of leather, covered with satin material, which I was told had gold threads, it has brass ottomans with red and green stones and has brass buckles. How can I get this belt appraised and sold? Thank you Terry Robinson

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I don't think so, I took it to a consignment store, I thought I could sell it, the manager told me they didn't sell things That were worth a million dollars, well I didn't think it was anywhere that price

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Antiques
11/19/2017
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 10 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including marks, labels or signatures.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

I am unable to find a match for this item. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Antique Expert: AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 10 months ago
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

May I ask where you got this, and anything you know of its story?

I had a shop in temecula, mostly vintage. One day an old man came in, he had a couple chairs from England, from the 18rh century, I went to his car and I saw this shiny belt all waded up I bought the chairs and belt for 15.00, the guy I believe was a bum

Thanks. I have some thoughts on this belt. I am reaching out to some colleagues and will be back to you later today or tomorrow morning.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

If you need more pics let me know

Can you please upload a photo of the backside of the belt?

Did you receive the picture

Thank you.

That reverse material is quite contemporary--does it appear to be original or does it look like it was added lately? That striped ribbed fabric is definitely 20th century.

Thanks. It looks like this belt was attached to that 20th century piece of striped fabric, to keep the perished leather in place.

From what I can tell in the photos, this belt appears to be Russian, or otherwise Eastern European (Caucasian), from the late 18th/early 19th century. It is constructed of silk over leather, metal-thread embroidery, with brass fittings and likely paste jewels. (You'd need to see a jeweler with a loupe to determine true metal and stone content.) Stylistically, this also merges with the Ottoman Empire--there was a great deal of stylistic overlap in this period.

At auction, I'd estimate this in the $800 - $1200 range, but it will depend on the metal and stone content as well.

If you have additional questions about this item, I am happy to continue working with you. Just continue our discussion in the reply box.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you, please rate my answer. I am not paid by the site until you do. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer, and I will continue to be available if you have more questions on the item. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars. I always strive for 5 star service, but please rate as you feel is appropriate. However, if you are considering a low rating, please try to give me the opportunity to improve my service to you first!

If you’d like to request me for future questions, please put " for Jennifer only" in your post. I respond to requested questions first.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

I was told the threads are gold, does that make a difference