Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a couple things to ask you about. Ihave a toddler…

Customer Question
I have a couple...

I have a couple things to ask you about

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Ihave a toddler spoon and fork 1930"s "Community"

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Also a 1881 Rogers Baby fork and spoon (actually 3 spoons and 1 fork) Lastly-a 2 1/4" nat'l acme brass 75th anniversary bell with inlaid clangor.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Antiques
11/19/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 10 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome! My name is***** will be pleased to help you. Thoughtful responses take time. I am studying your question and will return shortly.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the pieces showing the patterns.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the reverse.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

I do not send pop-up offers.

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

Thank you

There are more than a couple of things here you are asking about.

Three items

It says on the bell. National 75 Acme 1895-1970 and a little diamond shape thing to the right of the words.
The spoons are silverplate

May I have pictures of the reverses?

I just sent them?
trying again
Is it better to sell "all together" or separate

First let me say that I always dislike telling my clients the value of their plated silver. In the last twenty years, plated silver has dropped significantly in value. Sterling silver, for the most part, has retained its value as people look at it as an investment. The silver in plated silver is too difficult to extract to be of value as an investment. Plus with the increase in two worker households, there is not time to polish.

As you know, these pieces of flatware are plated silver.

The two piece toddler set in the Community Plate line by Oneida has an estimated retail value of $15.

The 3 spoons and fork marked 1881 Rogers were made ca 1900-1929. The mark referenced the date Wm A Rogers, Ltd. was established in 1881. This firm became part of Oneida in 1929. These four pieces have an estimated retail value of $25.

I truly wish I had better news.

As for the Vintage National Acme brass Bell .....

This miniature advertising bell was made in 1970 to celebrate the 75th anniversary of National Acme.

It has an estimated retail value of $25.

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

Craigslist.com

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

Thank you for your help. Truly appreciated.
no mobile phone :(

You are welcome.

********************
I do not normally participate in the extra charge phone call services. I give my best answers in thoughtful writing.

Besides, you will have an assessment to print out. I did not send the pop-up ad/offer.

********************

*********************
I am only credited by the Just Answer site for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

*********************