Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a W. Benson oil on canvas painting. I think it was…

Customer Question
I have a Frank...

I have a Frank W. Benson oil on canvas painting. I think it was painted between 19060 and 1908 in North Haven, Maine. It's called 'Summer Afternoon'.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I brought it at a yard sale a couple of years ago and couldn't really make out the signature and one day I saw a picture of it on pinterest and that's how I found out the name of the painting and the painter.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

It has a shipping sticker on the back and the paper on the back had been taken off. It's in a frame that's in a frame. It's hard to explain. Is there a way I can send some photos?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/19/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 8 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome! My name is***** will be pleased to help you. Thoughtful responses take time. I am studying your question and will return shortly.

What size is your piece (in inches) not including the frame and mat? Please do not remove from the frame.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.
If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the front and back of your framed piece.

Please send a photo of the signature.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

I do not send pop-up offers.

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris