Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a bedroom set of solid Cherry furniture from the

I have a bedroom set...
I have a bedroom set of solid Cherry wood furniture from the 1940s (poster twin bed, dresser, chest of drawers and night stand) with carved circular posts and legs. The furniture has been rarely used and is in impeccable condition. I am interested in its value.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: It is an unusual style. The posts are circular, and carved with graduated widths.
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/18/2017
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

My name is Glenda,
Can you send a picture of this?

Glenda

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I have attached photos of the furniture, with closeups of the detail.
20171118_144945.jpg2017111...jpg20171118_144951.jpg2017111...jpg20171118_145011.jpg2017111...jpg20171118_145039.jpg2017111...jpg20171118_145047.jpg2017111...jpg20171118_145058.jpg2017111...jpg20171118_145103.jpg2017111...jpg20171118_145114.jpg2017111...jpg

Hello

The Posts are called Spindle Posts, some call them Jenny Lind Posts, due to the Turned Spindle Look.

You do not see a full bedroom set like this very often, it is very nice.

.

This is your answer, please read entirely.

.
The 1940's Cherry Wood Bedroom set, with Spindle Posts has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $3***-**-****.00 if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less,at around $1***-**-****.00, if this were sold in a High End Antique Shop in a larger city it would sell for $3800.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $3800.00
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. This is the only way we get compensated for our work.They should be located top left of the page. Or you may see review expert or rate expert.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question. I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Rating the appraiser for answering your question has no cost to you, so please take a moment to rate this answer. This is the only way we get compensated by the site for our work. At no cost to you the customer.

This may be clicking the stars, rate expert or review expert.
.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

A rating is appreciated
Thank you
Glenda
.

Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Glenda, thanks for the reply. This was very helpful. I will check out these on-Iine sites. I was prepared to sell the furniture for a song. On these sites do the buyers pay for shipping? Also, do you think I could list at 4K? The furniture has never been used. It was in my parents guest bedroom, then my guest room. There are no scratches or water stains on the pieces. The finish is like new.On another note, I will also be selling a 1 set of Lenox Eternal China including all the serving pieces. And I will be selling a
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I meant a 12 piece place setting of Lenox Eternal China plus all the serving pieces, plus a 16 piece place setting of Lenox Holiday Christmas China plus all the serving pieces and a 12 piece setting of Gorham Andante (no trim) crystal. Once again, they have all been rarely used. If I wanted to get a quote, do I need to submit another request? We are downsizing. Thanks for your help.

Good Morning

If you would like to post a new question I would be glad to look the china up for you. The site does not allow adding new items to old questions. I would be happy to help with the two sets of china on one question ( they are like items ) then you would need to post a new question for the crystal. Just be sure to send each question addressed just like this

" For Glenda Only "

Thanks

As for the shipping yes, buyers pay shipping. If this were my bedroom set I would list it for that much and see how it goes, you can always put it on sale if you need to.

Glenda

Glenda B.
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser