Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I own a fairly large Szalasi Doll house castle with dolls,

I own a fairly...

I own a fairly large Szalasi Doll house castle with dolls, furniture . I have had little success getting this item appraised as all dealers have said they have not seen anything like it.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Do you have any knowledge of Szalasi doll houses and furnishings. No one seems to be able to help.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

None, I could send a few pictures

Answered in 1 hour by:
11/18/2017
Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help. I've been an appraiser for 29 years, and am the president of the Association of Online Appraisers.

Please upload your pictures at your convenience.

I uploaded 4 pictures for you
8E11F610-9348-4616-A557...jpeg8E11F6...jpeg0C3F9898-5F68-4A55-B3D9...jpeg0C3F98...jpeg0F0125C0-F480-49F1-A233...jpeg0F0125...jpeg13EBE45E-B098-4E51-A5DF...jpeg13EBE4...jpeg

Have you requested a phone call? I usually don't do them because they add an extra charge to your bill and I can answer your question right here at no additional charge. Also, it's difficult to research and speak with you at the same time. Do you still want a phone call?

I tried to provide credit card info but it says it needs to be upgraded.I won’t let me do anythin

Please contact***@******.*** and someone will help you.

Sorry- that's***@******.***

We don’t need to have a phone call

Great!

I'm going to do some research and will get back to you shortly.

Hello again.

I have some questions for you:

What are the dimensions of your dollhouse?

What is its condition? Any flaws?

Thanks for all this excellent information.

Be right back.

Back now.

As dollhouses go, Szalasi is at the top of the chain. They are exquisite in every way.

Your doll house was made circa 1900. In the condition you are describing (minor damage), the current retail (replacement or insurance) value of the doll house and contents is approximately $50,000. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $20,000, depending on location and actual condition.

If you want to sell, I recommend one of the major auction houses (Christies. Sothebys, Skinner) or a specialized doll auction. There is Dotta Auctions, http://www.dottaauction.com/index.php

Also, Theriault's https://www.theriaults.com/

I hope this answer has been helpful to you. Please let me know if you'd like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to do that.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button), at no extra cost to you. Your positive rating is how I am credited for my work. Please click the five stars above, and then click the green button. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.
Thank you so much!

Best wishes,

Judith-onAntiques

Thanks for the thoughts, I will contact one of them.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Please rate my service now.

Regarding the date 1900circa, all the information I have read regarding Szalasi Spielwaren Doll furniture and misc, says they were from 1958 ish to 1980.If the information that I have read is not correct, then please let me know.

No, you are correct. I apologize. I had the notes for your appraisal side by side with my notes for another appraisal and copied the wrong dates onto my screen. They were definitely a mid-20th century company.

Judith-on-Antiques

Thanks for your positive rating!

If you have additional items you want to know about, I'd be happy to help you with those. If you want me to answer your questions, all you need to do is use my name, Judith, as the first word of each question.

Best regards,

Judith-on-Antiques