Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Black Starr and Frost, Eagle facing left? I have 8 sterling…

Customer Question
Black Starr and Frost...

Black Starr and Frost mark, Eagle facing left?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I have 8 sterling nut or butter pat items by Black Starr & Frost, the mark is an Eagle facing left. I could not find the mark in Trade Marks of the Jewelry & Kindred Trades or in the Encyclopedia of Hallmarks on line net site, can you assist, thank your for your precious time and knowledge? Sincerely, Michael.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Not at this moment.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Antiques
11/18/2017
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 8 months ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Sure. What exactly are you looking for? Are you looking for a date for that mark or a value for your butter pats?

.

Do you have any pictures you can upload?

.

To send photos:

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then you can click this link for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

.

thanks,

Diana

The name of the maker is fine, the date would be nice, I assume it is 1910-1920's. Thank you so much for your precious time and knowledge. I have spent my life sharing the knowledge I have, believing that the more knowledge everyone has, the more likely their passion may become, and their respect for the trade and the merchandise. Sincerely, ***** ***** Student teaching disillusioned me from teaching, I made more from one Tiffany chandelier in 1972 than a teacher made in a year.

Hi Michael.

You're very welcome. I'm glad I can try to help. I tend to find research is one of my favorite aspects of this field.

.

The company is Black, Starr and Frost. They were a jewelry store and silversmiths founded as Black, Starr and Frost 1876, though they have history under various names dating back to nearly 1801. Prior to being Black, Starr and Frost, they were Ball, Black and Co from the 1850s to the 1870s. They are listed as being Black, Starr and Frost from 1876 to 1929 when they merged with Gorham. They specialized in hollowware and sterling flatware.

.

Without seeing the pattern of your pieces and the mark itself, I really can't narrow the date down any further than 1876 to 1929.

~Diana

I KNEW ALL OF THAT INFO, I've BEEN IN ESTATE JWEELRY FOR 4 DECADES. I CHECKED ALL OF THE GORHAM DATE MARKS, AS WELL AS THE ENTIRE LIST OF AMERICAN MAKERS AND COULD NOT FIND THE EAGLE FACING LEFT. I AM OFFENDED BY THE $34.00. I'LL PASS FOR NOW, THANKS ANY WAY, MICHAEL.

Hi Michael.

I don't understand why you're upset. There's no need to yell at me in all caps.

.

If you could tell me exactly what information you're looking for I'll be glad to help. Reading back over all your replies, you never really asked me a question. If I can't tell what kind of information you're looking for, I can't help you. I told you, to narrow down the date, I need to see a picture of the mark.
.

~Diana