Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a stirling silver plate 30cm by 10cm with a teaspoon…

I have a stirling...

I have a stirling silver plate 30cm by 10cm with a teaspoon spoon sitting on a side rail. It is stamped on the back with Deakin, PLATE, EP A1. Can you tell me anything about it

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It has 3 stamped leaves in the middle of the plate with a copper highlight

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

It has a ring hold at either end of the plate to pick up and decal cut out in each corner of the external part of the plate

11/18/2017
Wayne, Auctioneer
This is Wayne I am a verified expert in antiques and I can help you with this. This is made by James Deakin an English Company from Sheffield. This is silver plated copper not sterling silver . This was designed for a small tea set. This would sell for $50-75 USD at auction and the second hand market.
Here is some history on the company.
The firm was founded in Sheffield by James Deakin in 1866.
The first mark was entered by the firm in Sheffield Assay Office on 31 January 1878. It was a "JD" over "WD" and, possibly, represented the partnership of James Deakin and his son William Pitchford Deakin. The firm was active at Sidney Works, Matilda Street, Sheffield.
In 1886 two further sons entered in the partnership, John Deakin and Albert Deakin, and the firm was then known as James Deakin & Sons.
Further marks were entered in London Assay Office (1888) by William and John Deakin (subsidiary offices and showrooms at 48 Holborn Viaduct, London), Chester and Birmingham. Further offices and showrooms were opened at Gardiner House,***** London, 34 St. Enoch Square, Glasgow and***** Belfast.
After the retirement of James Deakin (1893) the business was continued by his sons William, John and Albert.
In 1897 the firm was converted into a limited liability company under the style James Deakin & Sons Ltd.
The firm was the proprietor of Shaw and Fisher, Electro-plate Manufacturers (established 1835) and of Walter Latham & Son, Sterling Silver & Electro-plate manufacturers (established 1874).
To avoid any confusion with the production of another Sheffield manufacturer having the same initials JD&S (James Dixon & Sons) the firm used in its silverplate production a figural trade mark representing a 'desk bell' (often interpreted as a 'lamp'). Likewise, Dixon used a figural trade mark (registered in 1879) representing a 'bugle'.
Trade marks used: AZTEC, PURITAN, REVLIS, SARBON, SHAW & FISHER, SIDNEY SILVER. The firm closed its activity circa 1940.
Wayne, Auctioneer