Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have 2 figurines about8 inches tall. One female and one…

I have 2 figurines...

I have 2 figurines about8 inches tall. One female and one male, both hold what look like paddles in golden color. She has a bonet on and he also has a headcover. There is writing on the bottom saying Copland. I think they are porcelain. I can not find anything like them on the internet. Any ideas?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

The boy looks like he has on short pants/bloomers, blue stockings and shows with buckles if that helps. The girl has a knee length skirt with blue stockings and shoes with buckles too.

11/18/2017
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be glad to help with your figurines.

Could you very kindly attach a photo of them and one of the mark.

Many thanks,
Robert.

To attach photos:

(a) Just click on the "Add Files" tab and it will bring up the photos in your computer for you to select and attach here where you are typing to me.

(b) If you don't have an image in your computer, email yourself one from a smart phone, save it in you computer and proceed with (a).

Here's a link to picture attaching help if you need it.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

You did great! Well done, all three images came through just fine.

That's all I need to see. Leave this with me and I'll have a full answer and a value for you as soon as I can.

No need to wait by the computer, you'll get an email with my response.

Many thanks,
Robert.

Hi Carol,

What a charming pair these are! Looking at the rococo-revival bases and the way the facial features are painted we can tell immediately that these are German made and date to the last quarter of the 1800s, so they are getting on up in years. There seemed to be a vogue at that time for depicting courting couples with paddles or oars, as if about to embark on an afternoon boat trip. Certainly not a longer excursion than that, considering their outfits, which are not the most suited for any heavy weather sailing.

The "Copland" on the base was most likely written by a previous owner who was under the impression these were made by the preeminent English porcelain manufacturer Copeland (spelled with an e) and although they are vaguely similar these are not by them.

Because they are unmarked (and many, many were from this era) we'll never know for sure who made them, but figurines like these were a specialty of several factories in the city of Volkstedt and also the Sitzendorf factory in Sitzendorf and especially Gebruder Heubach of Koppelsdorf all of which are in the province of Thuringia, in eastern Germany. As a result, they are collectively referred to as as 'Volkstedt' or 'Thuringia' figures.

The quality of the porcelain is excellent, as is the decoration, and they were produced in huge quantities for the export market to the rest of Europe and North America where they were sold for very little or even given away for free at carnivals and fairs as prizes. In fact another name for these among collectors is a "fairing" figure, for this reason.

This maker produced these in both a glazed finish like yours and also a bisque, or unglazed porcelain, finish (which generally were a little earlier). Here's the young lady in bisque, for instance.

I'm sure you've no intention of selling this lovely pair, but if you were to see an identical couple for sale in an antique store they would have a full retail price of $200. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

Expect to get 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at a good antique auction house or on line on sites such as eBay.

I do hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.