Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a pre wwII oil on from Poland. Artist is wojcick

I have a pre wwII...
I have a pre wwII oil on wood from Poland. Artist is wojcick Kodak. 2 soldiers one standing with binoculars by water the other sitting in the grass next to 2 saddled horses
11/18/2017
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome! My name is***** will be pleased to help you. Thoughtful responses take time. I am studying your question and will return shortly.

What size is your piece (in inches) not including the frame and mat? Please do not remove from the frame.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.
If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the back of your framed piece.

Please send a photo of the signature.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

I do not send pop-up offers.

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
A photo was included with signature in lower right. I am not at location now, so I will have to get back to you with size and photo of back. Quick guess us 16 x 20 range.

I just checked the picture you sent of the front. I zoomed in on the signature but found I really need a separate close up photo of that.

I look forward to seeing the back.

There is no hurry at this end.

That's much better. Thank you.

Can you tell what is just to the bottom right of the signature?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Your guess is as good as mine. The photo shows it accurately, but I have no clue what it denotes

Thank you. It may be a year.

With the close up of the signature, I can assess this without a photo of the back.

.

Wojciech Adalbert Kossak (1857 - 1942)

"A Polish painter known for historical scenes, often with horses, Wojciech Kossak was born in Paris, and was a member of a family of four generations of notable painters whose surname was Kossak. His father was historical painter, Juliusz Kossak (1824-1899); he was the identical twin brother of freedom fighter Tadeusz Kossak (1857-1935), and the father of painter Jerzy Kossak (1886-1955).

Wojciech Kossak was much influenced by his father with whom he studied drawing. In 1871 Wojciech attended the School of Fine Arts in Krakow, where his teacher was Wladyslaw Luszczkiewicz (1828-1900). Four years later, he enrolled in the Munich Academy of Fine Arts* and was a student of Alexander Wagner (1839-1919), Alexander Strohuber (1814-1882), and Wilhlem Lindenschmit (1829-1895).

He returned to Krakow in 1876, and worked on paintings of historic patriotic themes, often of battles. He was especially fond of depicting horses, which viewers found especially appealing. His authenticity in rendering these subjects improved after he spent a short period of service in 1876 in the Krakow Cavalry Regiment. In 1877, he again went to Paris and this time studied with Alexandre Cabanel (1823-1889) and Leon Bonnat (1833-1922) at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts*.

In 1884, Kossak returned to Krakow and continued to do large-scale oil paintings and watercolours of historical themes including the Napoleonic Wars and subjects of notable Polish battles in Central and Eastern Europe against foreign invaders. One of his most famous paintings is The Raclawice Panorama, which is in a collection in Wroclaw, Poland. To view this circular panorama* advantageously, the viewer should stand in the middle from where various scenes from different perspectives can be seen. Eight other artists participated in the creation of the work, which is a patriotic commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the victorious Battle of Raclawice, whereby an insurrection in defense of Polish independence was remembered for the bravery of the participants.

He also did several portraits including self portraits, family member subjects as well as the nobility, and military figures.

Wojciech Kossak died in Krakow in 1942."

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojciech_Kossak

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at completed sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this widely accepted method of assessment, I determined an ESTIMATED AUCTION VALUE of $8000-9500 for your piece.

As for retail value, I have seen art sell for 4 to 10 times auction values depending on the tastes of the art gallery owner as well as location of the gallery.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or via consignment can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be the pro that takes the question.

Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser