Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

What is the resale value, by an individual, of a bronze

sculpture by Jim Gilmore, titled...
What is the resale value, by an individual, of a bronze sculpture by Jim Gilmore, titled “Double Surprise”. This limited edition bronze sculpture is numbered 8/40 and features a buck running through a corn field with a startled pheasant emerging from the shucks of corn. Mounted on a wooden base with a brass plaque, this work is signed at the base of the bronze along with Santa Fe Bronze and the edition number
11/18/2017
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome! My name is***** will be pleased to help you. Thoughtful responses take time. I am studying your question and will return shortly.

Jim Gilmore (born 1950)

"Jim Gilmore was born and raised on a cattle ranch in Colorado where he continues to live with his wife Theresa, and their two children Kaycee and John. While growing up, he developed an early love for the surrounding mountains and the wildlife that inhabit them. Combining this fascination with a lifelong interest in art, he has been successful in portraying wildlife in many ways including oil and watercolor painting, sculpture, and taxidermy. Since 1985 he has devoted full time to sculpture.

Gilmore believes that an in-depth knowledge of anatomy and animal habits are very important qualities for a wildlife artist. Jim's taxidermy experience helps him depict the animal or bird he is modeling with authenticity based on his firsthand observation. Therefore, in his sculptures he tries to combine correct anatomy and detail with a strong composition. The many days he continues to spend in the mountains researching and photographing animals adds to his knowledge of the subjects he sculpts.

The sculptor has had no formal art training but believes his experience has given him a knowledge which would be difficult to learn in a school. He is involved with the molding, casting, and applying of the patina and final finishes to his bronzes."
Source:
The Taos Gallery, Scottsdale, 2002

This numbered and signed limited edition (8/40) bronze sculpture by Jim Golmore entitled "Double Surprise" has an estimated retail value of $1200-1800.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com/about/selling

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.
Thank you again.
**********************

Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser