Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I own a collection of Edme Conway Wedgewood China. I am

Hi Pearl, I own a...
Hi Pearl, I own a collection of Edme Conway Wedgewood China. I am considering selling the pices but I am not sure what they would be worth. There are 12 dinner plates, 8 salad plates, 8 tea cups & saucers, 13 bread & butter plates, plus a number of serving platters, tea set, egg holders etc. Is this enough info to get you started?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I can think of, the china is in good shape, no cracks. Any other important details?
11/17/2017
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Is there any way you could provide a list of what extras you have? Depending on just what you have, the value can vary quite a bit.

~Diana

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Diana,
1 gravy boat & dish
1 small serving platter
1 oval serving platter
1 small round serving platter
1 milk pitcher
1 large serving platter/turkey platter
1 sugar bowl with lid
1 cream dispenser
2 soup dishes with handles
1 tea pot
1 serving bowl with lid
2 egg holders
2 cereal bowls (?)
2 dessert/fruit bowls (?)

Thank you very much. That's perfect.

.

Conway was produced from 1929 to 1997. With it being discontinued, many of your pieces could be harder to come by and will have a higher value because of that.

.

I can actually give you prices both individually and as a set so you'll know the value of each piece and as a set. Here is a breakdown value for your pieces:

.

12 dinner plates - $30 to $40 each

8 salad plates - $15 to $20 each

8 tea cups & saucers - $20 to $25 each set

13 bread & butter plates - $15 to $20 each

1 gravy boat & dish - $75 to $100
1 small serving platter -$50 to $65
1 oval serving platter - $90 to $120
1 small round serving platter - $35 to $55
1 milk pitcher - $90 to $110
1 large serving platter/turkey platter - $150 to $200
1 sugar bowl with lid - $50 to $60
1 cream dispenser - $40 to $50
2 soup dishes with handles - $25 to $30 each
1 tea pot - $150 to $175
1 serving bowl with lid - $100 to $125
2 egg holders - $25 to $30 each
2 cereal bowls $40 to $45 each
2 dessert/fruit bowls $15 to $20 each

.

As a whole set, it should have a value around $1600 to $2100.
.

That should do it, but if I missed anything, please let me know.
.
The reason I broke it down is because sometimes you can get a higher value by breaking the set up or by piecing it out. It does take longer, but you get the higher values and it helps to know what each piece is worth.

.

Deciding on which way to sell it really depends on how fast you need to sell it. If you'd like to sell it fast, I'd recommend selling it as one lot and in the lower price range.
.

The only downside to selling china right now is that there are a number of people trying to currently get rid of their china so there is quite a bit on the market. It make take a few selling tries, but there are collector's out there.
.
I can give you a few ideas for selling if you're interested. For selling, Etsy and Amazon's marketplace are great alternatives to Ebay. There is also Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic. They're more like online antique shops. They do cost a bit more to list there, but they get higher prices. Etsy is a good alternative if you want some place with lower listing fees. They have the lowest rates around right now.
.
Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. Ebay, like with any auction, you can expect about 1/2 of the actual value. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

There is also craigslist or kijiji. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). The only downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Have a great evening,

~Diana

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Diana, this is very helpful information. Question, what about shipping? How do I include shipping in my selling price if I am not sure of the cost? How do I get the pieces properly packed so they can be shipped without being damaged?

Hi. I'm glad I could help. Shipping can be tricky. Much of it depends on how you pack it. The more securely you pack it, the less chance of breakage. On the flip side, that will add to weight. Also, you'll often do better to do smaller boxes with less items than trying to put all your china in 1 big box. That's one reason I recommended maybe selling it in smaller lots.

.
There are a few good sites that give you tips and pictures. Here's one site I really like:

https://blog.shiphawk.com/how-to-pack-fine-china

.

Their idea of using two boxes to create a double wall is a great idea. Uline, U-Uhual, Lowes and even the UPS store have some great boxes. They have even have some that are specifically for china.

.

For cost, my advice is to pack everything, but don't seal the boxes up. Then weigh each box. You can use the post office or whoever your going to ship with (like UPS, Canadapost, fedex, etc. and be able get a close idea of what it will cost to ship all of them. Since you're in Canada you can even use Greyhound. It's ground shipping and would take longer, but they do have some fantastic rates. http://www.shipgreyhound.ca/.

.
It can be time consuming but definitely worth taking the time to do it.

.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hi Diana, the shippping info is very helpful as well, thanks. I was looking on Etsy today, how do I figure out the year the Wedgwood pieces were manufactured. Some of the picutres show a back stamp, how can I use the back stampt to find out when it was manufactured?

Hi. Honestly, the date won't matter much in terms of selling it. The pieces that were made during the early 1930s when the pattern was first produced are worth the same price as those made near the end of it's run in the 1990s.

.

Sometimes you can narrow it down by the backstamp used. If you're lucky they would sometimes put an actual date code on the bottom. If you can send me a picture of the bottom, I can take a look and try to narrow it down.

.

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then you can click this link for instructions on uploading images
.
ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

.

thanks,

Diana

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser