Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

CAN YOU GIVE ME ADVICE AS TO THE PRICE FOR A BRONZE

SCULPTURE OF A GORILLA...
CAN YOU GIVE ME ADVICE AS TO THE PRICE FOR A BRONZE SCULPTURE OF A GORILLA CAST IN 1892 AT CIRC C VALSUANI PERDUE AND SIGNER BOUTAREL
11/16/2017
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Here is the info that we have. In addition would also like the price for a price for a yellow gold, cabochon Ruby and burl wood dagger and that info is also attacfhed

I am not able to assess both items for you.

I will opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

~Nora

LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Please allow me to review your items and look up the current values for you. I will post back here when completed. Thank you
Thank you Tanya

Hi, thank you for your patience these are two very nice pieces and very different.

If you have further questions on either please let me know. Thank you

_________________________________

The Valsuani foundry was started by the brothers Claude and Attilio Valsuani who learned the foundry trade while employed at the Hebard foundry. While working for Hebard, Claude Valsuani showed great promise as a finisher and eventually worked his way up to become the Technical Director of the Hebard foundry. In 1899 Claude Valsuani started his own foundry in Chatillon, casting mostly small works for various artists primarily using the lost wax technique of casting (cire perdue). In 1905 he moved his foundry to 74 Rue des Plantes in Paris. Among the better known sculptors who had the Valsuani foundry cast their works were: Renoir, Picasso Despiau, Paul Troubetzkoy, Matisse, and Gaugin. Claude Valsuani died in 1923 in his native Italy but his son, Marcele took over the running of the foundry and continued to produce extremely fine detailed bronzes until the 1970's.

Simone Boutarel exhibited her works in the Paris Salon in the 1920s, and won a silver medal in 1937. Born in Paris she produced a number of busts and heads but specialized in statuettes and groups of animals. The Gorilla with baby you have I did compare the signatures and found it to match the artist.

At 19" tall by 16" wide this is a substantial statue. In todays market the value is 18,000-20,000.00 top value if sold through an auction house such as Christies or Sothebys . To retail in an art gallery you would see 10,000-12,000.00 If you are looking to insure the statue the insured value would be 20,000.00 This is a bronze statue that was wax cast and from an artist known for animal pieces. The foundry is famous and the piece is a one of a kind statue. You may contact Christies or Sothebys Auction Houses to see what they feel the piece would sell for through one of their auctions today . If they reply they would not be interested you can ask if they know of a certain auction house or collector that would be interested in the statue. Each auction house has a different client base and if they believe it would sale they will tell you. The price this was bought at was in 2004 and with the retail market up and down the values stated above are as of today's current value. If you were to keep it and sell at a later date the value will only continue to rise. Very nice piece.

_______________________________________

On the dagger= This has a value of 10,000-12,000.00 . The 24kt gold is the little figure on the top (handle) and the decorative gold on the sheath is gold leaf. The overall size of 25" is mainly the blade and the rubies appear to be small cabochons. Very nice dagger but more decorative then actually a good dagger. Value lies in the gld and small rubies. Would need to see the rubies to tell if they are high quality or common rubies. This would be a special collector type item and hard to sell in todays market. If you wish to insure this dagger the insured value would be 12,000.00 and on the open market such as a finer collector store or gallery you would see 8,000-10,000.00 for the dagger.

______________________________

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars: 1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.

LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser