Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Doris, I have this hanging light fixture and was wondering…

Customer Question
Hi Doris, I have this hanging...
Hi Doris,
I have this hanging light fixture and was wondering if it has any significant history and or value. Not sure how to send the pictures...
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Antiques
Additional pictures
IMG_20171116_092022.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171116_092106.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171116_092159.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171116_092335.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20171116_092420.jpgIMG_201...jpg
11/16/2017
Antique Expert: Josie-Mod,
 replied 6 months ago
Josie-Mod
I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when she is back online.
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 6 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hi, Lily. Welcome back. I have been studying your photos. I thank you for your patience.

This fixture was made in Steinbach , Manitoba, Canada in mid 20thC.

Steinbach, meaning "Stony Brook," was founded in 1874 by German-speaking Mennonites from the Ukraine.

A strong German and Mennonite influence remains today.

"Leuchten" translates into "to shine" in English.

Since the name of the exact manufacturer is missing from the tag, we can assume it was made in the Mennonite community.

The estimated retail value is $200-300.

Again,

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com/about/selling

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

Doris
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser