Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a 20.75 inch Limoges fish platter with 2 fish on it,

I have a 20.75...

I have a 20.75 inch Limoges fish platter with 2 fish on it, trimmed in gold. There are also lily pads in the pattern. I am thinking mid to 1800 to early 1900's. The mark on the back of the platter is round with a rectangle through the middle that states Limoges, in the circular aspect of the mark, it states Bassett, Austrailia. I am seeking more information.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

On the underside of the platter, there is a raised line 7 inches long, with the middle of the line being an oval.

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/16/2017
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I'd love to help.
Use the +Add Files feature next to the SEND button to upload photos of the item, including marks, labels or signatures.
The feature works best when you add ONE picture, put a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

This is a circa 1915 Limoges hand painted Limoges fish platter

that would have been part of a service that included 12 matching plates and one sauce boat.

The platter bears the mark of Bassett Limoges (Austria). George Bassett was a New York

importer of items from France and Austria from 1890 to 1963. While this platter was made in Austria and sold in

New York, most refer to these as "Limoges hand painted fish platters" even though it was made in Austria.

The value of this platter is $175.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local) , Wanelo.com, http://www.decluttr.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com,
Ebay and letgo.com (local).

You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

Please do click the stars now for this one (bonuses are also welcome!), it is very important for me
to get good feedback for answering.

Rarewares