Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a piece that was made by Manfred Veyhl and I cannot…

Customer Question
Hello! I have a...

Hello! I have a piece that was made by Manfred Veyhl and I cannot for the life of me even identify it's actual function.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

My grandmother had 2 small urns adorned in silver with bird and flower murals she has ask me to appraise and sell

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

They have circle knobs on at the top that are removable and have a cylindrical tube with a thin sheet of glass holding what I believe may be flint I have taken several photos of the item yet remain no closer to discovering the intended purpouse. Both contain an odd orange powder

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Antiques
Images can be viewed here https://imgur.com/a/oT59T
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/15/2017
Antique Expert: Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 8 months ago
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be glad to help with your Veyhl bottles.

What rare things these are! Are they both identical?

Also, can you attach a clearer photo of the inside of the stopper. Try using the flower icon on your camera for close-ups, or, if you're using an iPhone, just touch the screen where you want it to focus.

Failing that, take a photo from a distance where it's in focus and I can do the zooming and enlarging this end.

Many thanks!

Robert.

they are both identical, I will add a better photo in a moment.
Thanks!
-Zach

Okay, great, thanks for confirming that.

https://imgur.com/a/ia6b1
Interior appears to be cotton If I had to guess with a central plank that is glass holding a metallic object I'm not certain I can identify.

I'm beginning to see now, thanks. So the glass looks like it has a notch in the top, correct? and the metallic object is like a small pill with a hole in the center? Suspended on one side of the glass?

And cotton felt lining the cylinder?

Does the orange material have a perfume?

your description is accurate for the topper on every premise. The orange material does not have a distinguishable smell but I noticed its crystalline in structure sort of like salt.

Okay, I understand. Leave this with me while I do a little research. I believe what this is, is a patent method of preventing deliquescent materials such as bath salts from taking up moisture -from the days before commercial silica gel was invented.

That is a very interesting prospect. I look forward to what you find!